Setup:
PC desktop
GT5656
Windows vista home premium
3gb ddr2 dual channel
500 gb hard disk
AMD athlon 64x2 6000+

Hello, I turn my computer on and it gives me the "Launch System Repair" and "log into windows vista menu" When I choose either option the computer shuts down. When going to the f8 menu, any option I choose (safe mode etc.) the computer shuts down when it starts loading safe mode or anything else in the menu. HOWEVER, the computer does not shut down if it remains in the menu itself or even the BIOS menu and settings screen, I can navigate and inside the BIOS settings and interact with it and it stays on. I have tried the following and nothing has worked:
- Put new silver paste on chip and cooling part cleaning first the old one.
- Blew air and cleaned all dirt from inside, specially cooling unit on top of processor.
- Reset BIOS taking battery out
- Tried to boot from recovery CD (it shuts down as well)
- Tried to boot from Windows vista service pack 1 CD (shuts down)
- Took out RAM and cleaned
- Tried to make it work with only one RAM stick at the time (it has 2 of 1gb & 2 500mb)
- Tested with 2 other supplies (one same voltage and another gaming one)

***There is no beeping codes or abnormal noises

Fans work and temperature seems normal, but only read it when I'm into the BIOS settings, however not sure if it then overheats when trying to load windows.

Any more ideas??? Is most likely that I need a new motherboard?

Thanks a lot!!!

Have you check the graphics card? Unplug the graphics and use the on board graphics card. Also test out your RAM 1GB at a time to check which RAM module is faulty. Currently this are the two things I can think of. Good luck!

Have you check the graphics card? Unplug the graphics and use the on board graphics card. Also test out your RAM 1GB at a time to check which RAM module is faulty. Currently this are the two things I can think of. Good luck!

Hi, I just ran a POST test with a card I just bought. According to the code (no-c) the CPU is dead or improperly set, cooled etc. I did the paste, put it back, disconnect, reconnect the fan's power.
My question now is, having BIOS working, is it only the CPU or also the mobo screwed?

My guess will be the mobo. I haven't come across any screw CPU so far. Look at the mobo closely and see whether there is any burn smell when turn on or some capacitor bulge up or some brown stain on top. The capacitor is the round like tube. The color maybe light blue or green. If its bulge up or brown stain than the mobo is faulty.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.