Ok, it's really weird. When I test the to see the two variables which will make up the email address

<?php
$carrier = $_POST['carrier'];
$number1 = $_POST['number1'];
$number2 = $_POST['number2'];
$number3 = $_POST['number3'];

$number = $number1.$number2.$number3;

$pin = rand(1, 9).rand(0, 9).rand(0, 9);
$code = $pin;

if($carrier == 1){
    $displaycarrier = "Verison";
    $site = "vtext.com";
} elseif($carrier == 2){
    $displaycarrier = "AT&T";
    $site = "txt.att.net";
} elseif($carrier == 3){
    $displaycarrier = "Sprint";
    $site = "messaging.sprintpcs.com";
} elseif($carrier == 4){
    $displaycarrier = "T-Mobile";
    $site = "tmomail.net";
} elseif($carrier == 5){
    $displaycarrier = "MetroPCS";
    $site = "mymetropcs.com";
} elseif($carrier == 6){
    $displaycarrier = "Virgin Mobile";
    $site = "vmobl.com";
} elseif($carrier == 7){
    $displaycarrier = "Beyond GSM";
    $site = "txt.att.net";
} elseif($carrier == 8){
    $displaycarrier = "Centennial";
    $site = "cwemail.com";
} elseif($carrier == 9){
    $displaycarrier = "Cellular South";
    $site = "csouth1.com";
} elseif($carrier == 10){
    $displaycarrier = "Cincinnati Bell";
    $site = "gocbw.com";
} elseif($carrier == 11){
    $displaycarrier = "Boost Mobile";
    $site = "myboostmobile.com";
} elseif($carrier == 12){
    $displaycarrier = "Nextel";
    $site = "messaging.nextel.com";
} elseif($carrier == 13){
    $displaycarrier = "Alltel";
    $site = "message.alltel.com";
} elseif($carrier == 14){
    $displaycarrier = "Qwest";
    $site = "qwestmp.com";
} elseif($carrier == 15){
    $displaycarrier = "Cricket";
    $site = "MMS.mycricket.com";
} elseif($carrier == 16){
    $displaycarrier = "Bell";
    $site = "txt.bellmobility.ca";
} elseif($carrier == 17){
    $displaycarrier = "Telus";
    $site = "msg.telus.com";
} elseif($carrier == 18){
    $displaycarrier = "Rogers";
    $site = "pcs.rogers.com";
} elseif($carrier == 19){
    $displaycarrier = "Fido";
    $site = "fido.ca";
}else {
    $site = "example.com";
}

if( isset($_POST['Submitter']) && !empty($_POST['Submitter']) )
{
 $to = "my_email_address@example.com"; // instead of my email, this will be replaced with "$number@$site", and the "$number@$site" below is only for debugging, and is bugged, this is where you notice where it glitches!
 $subject = "";
 $body = "$number@$site Hi. Your code is $code. If you were not expecting this text message, sorry, someone entered the wrong number, please ignore it.";
 $headers = "From: email_address@example.comrn" .
     "X-Mailer: php";
 if (mail($to, $subject, $body, $headers)) {
   echo("<p>Message sent!</p>");
  } else {
   echo("<p>Message delivery failed...</p>");
  }
  exit();
}
?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Verify SMS reminder sign-up</title>
<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="favicon.ico">

</head>
<body>
<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
<p>Step 5.<br />
Make sure the info you entered is correct. If it's fine, skip this step.<br />If it's wrong, click the button to correct it.</p>

<?php
echo "$number@$site<br />"; //[DEBUGING FEATURE ONLY]: So here if the number is 1234567890 and the carrier is verison (vtext.com) it will display 1234567890@vtext.com

// use it
echo "You entered:<br /><i>Cell phone carrier:</i><b> $displaycarrier</b><br /><i>Cell phone number:</i><b> $number1-$number2-$number3</b>";

?>

<form><input type="button" value="Woops, let me fix a mistake" onClick="history.go(-1);return true;"></form>
<br />
<p>Step 6.<br />
To make sure that the number you entered is actually yours, we will send a text message to "your" phone.<br />
In the message you will find a 3 didget code. Enter that in the text box that asks for it. You may now click<br />
the button below to send the pin to your phone. If you do not recieve the pin within 5 minutes, click it again.</p><br />

<form method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">-----[[[[[[[[[[sdkfjdksajfkasdjfkdsafldsajflsadfsadfk that was to get your attension, COMMENTS WONT WORK HERE SO REMOVE THIS STUFF, NOW HERE IS MY "COMMENT": When I send it to my email address, it appears as '@example.com', which means somehow $number and $site (leading up to $carrier) somehow changed to nothing! Very odd...]]]]]]]]]]-----
<input type="submit" name="Submitter" id="Submitter" value="Send the code to my phone" />
</form>

</font>

</body>
</html>

Ok, so when you do the echo, it displays "1234567890@vtext.com" if you enter that stuff. But for some strange reason, when you email it with the variables, they reset!!!
I would really appreciate someone more skilled than me (that's pretty much anyone, lol) in php to point out what is wrong and how I can fix it. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Even my other friends have looked at it an don't understand what's with it, lol, very weird.

I think you need some hidden input fields in the form with the submit button that posts back to your script. Otherwise the form is posting nothing except the value of the submit button, right? Hidden input fields allow you to repost your data.

<form method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>"
<input type="hidden" name="carrier" value="<?php echo "$carrier"; ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="number1" value="<?php echo "$number1"; ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="number2" value="<?php echo "$number2"; ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="number3" value="<?php echo "$number3"; ?>" />
<input type="submit" name="Submitter" id="Submitter" value="Send the code to my phone" />
</form>

Thanks, I'll try that out, but do I just put that anywhere in the body tags? or should it be somewhere specific like at the very top of the body tag, or like above or below the mail call function?
Thanks for your quick reply! (looks like bumping did the trick. :P)

Ok, now that I looked at the code an stuff, I know to put it in place of my current submit (send email --> text message) button. But my question is, what exactly do I do with/is the point of those hidden inputs? What am I going to do with them? I can't exactly retrieve a a variable from them... Help please. Thanks!

Like are those invisable inputs to stabalize the variables? If so, how do I retrieve them?

[QUOTE]Thanks for the tip, I just fixed it, but we are really on a different page (literally!). This whole topic should be about the page /verify.php, not /index.php[/QUOTE]
I know you were in verify.php but your pages are "interconnected" since you start at one page and as you proceed at a different step, you are posting to another page. Case in point, you fixed the nested form problem in verify.php, but it still persists in index.php. You need to fix that nested form problem everywhere. Also, you are using name="Submitter" in index.php, so you to use a different name in verify.php because it is a different step altogether. I suggest you use name="Submiter2" in verify.php.

<?php
session_start();
//you are arriving from index.php
if( isset(isset($_POST['Submitter']) && !empty($_POST['Submitter'])) )
{
    //save the data you posted from index.php
    foreach($_POST as $k=>$v){
        $_SESSION[$k]=$v;
    }
}
//you submitted from verify.php
elseif( isset($_POST['Submitter2']) && !empty($_POST['Submitter2']) )
{
    //retrieve the previously saved data from index.php
    $carrier = $_SESSION['carrier'];
    $number1 = $_SESSION['number1'];
    $number2 = $_SESSION['number2'];
    $number3 = $_SESSION['number3'];

$code = $pin;

if($carrier == 1){
        $site = "vtext.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 2){
        $displaycarrier = "AT&amp;T";
        $site = "txt.att.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 3){
    } elseif($carrier == 4){
        $site = "tmomail.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 5){
    } elseif($carrier == 6){
        $site = "vmobl.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 7){
        $site = "txt.att.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 8){
        $site = "cwemail.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 9){
        $site = "csouth1.com";
        $site = "gocbw.com";
        $site = "qwestmp.com";
        $site = "msg.telus.com";
        $site = "fido.ca";
    }else {
        $site = "example.com";
    }

$to = "my_email_address@example.com"; // instead of my email, this will be replaced with "$number@$site", and the "$number@$site" below is only for debugging, and is bugged, this is where you notice where it glitches!
    $subject = "";
    $body = "$number@$site Hi. Your code is $code. If you were not expecting this text message, sorry, someone entered the wrong number, please ignore it.";
    $headers = "From: example@example.com\r\n" .
        echo("<p>Message sent!</p>");
    } else {
        echo("<p>Message delivery failed...</p>");
    }
    exit();
}
?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<head>

</head>
<body>
<p>Step 5.<br />
Make sure the info you entered is correct. If it's fine, skip this step.<br />If it's wrong, click the button to correct it.</p>

<form><input type="button" value="Woops, let me fix a mistake" onClick="history.go(-1);return true;"></form>
<br />
<p>Step 6.<br />
To make sure that the number you entered is actually yours, we will send a text message to "your" phone.<br />
In the message you will find a 3 didget code. Enter that in the text box that asks for it. You may now click<br />
the button below to send the pin to your phone. If you do not recieve the pin within 5 minutes, click it again.</p><br />

<form method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">-----[[[[[[[[[[sdkfjdksajfkasdjfkdsafldsajflsadfsadfk that was to get your attension, COMMENTS WONT WORK HERE SO REMOVE THIS STUFF, NOW HERE IS MY "COMMENT": When I send it to my email address, it appears as '@example.com', which means somehow $number and $site (leading up to $carrier) somehow changed to nothing! Very odd...]]]]]]]]]]-----
<input type="submit" name="Submitter2" id="Submitter2" value="Send the code to my phone" />
</form>

</font>

</body>
</html>

Ok, now that I looked at the code an stuff, I know to put it in place of my current submit (send email --> text message) button. But my question is, what exactly do I do with/is the point of those hidden inputs? What am I going to do with them? I can't exactly retrieve a a variable from them... Help please. Thanks!

The point of the hidden fields is to save the data so the form will repost them back to your script and you can retrieve them from the $_POST array. However since hielo says you have already saved the data in the $_SESSION array you can forget about the hidden fields and retrieve from $_SESSION instead, as hielo says.

The point is that any data which you don't post and don't save will disappear when you exit your script by clicking a submit button, even if the script is posting to itself. Hope, I didn't confuse the issue by suggesting hidden fields. Saving and retrieving from $_SESSION accomplishes the same thing so stick with that alternative.

Ok, thanks for the answers, both of you!
I think I'm going to use Helio's post, but when I go to http://www.projectflyffinnovation.com/php/verify.php, I get this:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ISSET, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or '$' in /mnt/store/homes/keavon/public_html/projectflyffinnovation.com/php/verify.php on line 4
Line 4 is where the if statement is, I'm wondering if it displays this because I go straight to the page?
Edit: I fixed my index.php.
:P
It was really easy!

Also, Helio, I thought that I did fix the nesting forms, I just checked! It's too bad this form doesn't have spoilers, because I'd show you both their source, but it's too long. D: If you want to view it's source, (you don't have to do anything, lol, but I'd appreciate it) and tell me otherwise, you can. After fixing it tho, i'm still getting the errors.

End Edit

Last time it opened an error box saying something I had in the code (that was copied and pasted), so I removed that and now what it's doing is adding a URL variable to the end with the displayed name of the submit button!

If it is giving me the error due to the fact that I don't have anything in the input, it would be good if I could make it automatically re-direct you to the previous page (more like link you to index.php). I'll try and fix something, I feel bad leeching so much information and not doing much on my own. I'm clicking the "up button" on all of your posts! :P
Thanks, and i'll try and tamper with that if at the top, and the problem with index.php. Ugg, it was my first day of school today, so I don't have much time from now on. D:
Thanks!
-Keavon

*forum
in "too bad this form doesn't have spoilers, too bad editing is limited to 30 mintues!!!!!

my apologies for that. Line 4 should be:

On another note, be sure to start from the index page, not directly from verify.php

Yay it works.... Uh, oh, wait, it still has the cleared variables... That's not good! when it emails me, it says @example.com
That's not good... Hmmm... I might try the other person's option, strange. My code is:

<?php
session_start();
{
        $_SESSION[$k]=$v;
    }
}
{

$code = $pin;

if($carrier == 1){
        $site = "vtext.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 2){
        $site = "txt.att.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 3){
    } elseif($carrier == 4){
        $site = "tmomail.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 5){
    } elseif($carrier == 6){
        $site = "vmobl.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 7){
        $site = "txt.att.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 8){
        $site = "cwemail.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 9){
        $site = "csouth1.com";
        $site = "gocbw.com";
        $site = "qwestmp.com";
        $site = "msg.telus.com";
        $site = "fido.ca";
    }else {
        $site = "example.com";
    }

$sent = 0;

$to = "keavon1@gmail.com";
    $subject = "";
        $sent = 1;
    } else {
        $sent = 0;
    }
    exit();
}
?>

<head>

</head>
<body>
<p>Step 5.<br />

<br />
<p>Step 6.<br />

<form method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">
<input type="submit" name="Submitter2" id="Submitter2" value="Send the code to my phone" />
</form>

</font>

</body>
</html>

I think one last question: (sorry! I know I'm being very... what's the word... maybe annoying or time-consuming? for you guys, but I really appreciate it! I'm "up arrowing" all of your posts!) in the email script, is there a way to make the mail function not like reload the page with a blank or "message sent" thing? even better but I don't really care AT ALL, so please don't stress it and spend your time telling me, but just an idea is to make the send email/txt button grey untill 1 minute has gone by and have the button say "Send The Code to my phone B[/B]"
Where 43 is the random number of seconds left, and it changes every sec till 0 and un-greys it. I'll look that up my self tho. Thanks!

I know it is not a relevant question, but do you pay to use carriers to send email to sms? I would like to try it but I do not know the implications. Sorry for being off-topic :-)

[QUOTE=keavon;1321201]Yay it works.... Uh, oh, wait, it still has the cleared variables... That's not good! when it emails me, it says @example.com
That's not good... Hmmm... I might try the other person's option, strange. My code is:

<?php
session_start();
{
        $_SESSION[$k]=$v;
    }
}
{

$code = $pin;

if($carrier == 1){
        $site = "vtext.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 2){
        $site = "txt.att.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 3){
    } elseif($carrier == 4){
        $site = "tmomail.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 5){
    } elseif($carrier == 6){
        $site = "vmobl.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 7){
        $site = "txt.att.net";
    } elseif($carrier == 8){
        $site = "cwemail.com";
    } elseif($carrier == 9){
        $site = "csouth1.com";
        $site = "gocbw.com";
        $site = "qwestmp.com";
        $site = "msg.telus.com";
        $site = "fido.ca";
    }else {
        $site = "example.com";
    }

$sent = 0;

$to = "keavon1@gmail.com";
    $subject = "";
        $sent = 1;
    } else {
        $sent = 0;
    }
    exit();
}
?>

<head>

</head>
<body>
<p>Step 5.<br />

<br />
<p>Step 6.<br />

<form method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">
</form>

</font>

</body>
</html>

I think one last question: (sorry! I know I'm being very... what's the word... maybe annoying or time-consuming? for you guys, but I really appreciate it! I'm "up arrowing" all of your posts!) in the email script, is there a way to make the mail function not like reload the page with a blank or "message sent" thing? even better but I don't really care AT ALL, so please don't stress it and spend your time telling me, but just an idea is to make the send email/txt button grey untill 1 minute has gone by and have the button say "Send The Code to my phone B[/B]"
Where 43 is the random number of seconds left, and it changes every sec till 0 and un-greys it. I'll look that up my self tho. Thanks![/QUOTE]If "try the other person's option" means you would like to try saving the values of the relevant variables in hidden fields in the form with the 'Submitter' button [CODE]<form method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>"
<input type="hidden" name="carrier" value="<?php echo "$carrier"; ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="number1" value="<?php echo "$number1"; ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="number2" value="<?php echo "$number2"; ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="number3" value="<?php echo "$number3"; ?>" />
</form>[/CODE]make sure you include something like the following near the beginning of your script (as you did before):[CODE]$carrier = $_POST['carrier'];
$number1 = $_POST['number1'];
$number2 = $_POST['number2'];
$number3 = $_POST['number3'];
[/CODE]The above reads values from any fields, including 'text' or 'hidden', from the form that posted to the page (which, in this case, is the page posting to itself.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.