Recently I uninstalled Lime wire file sharing software after discovering what it really was! Unfortunately it has permanently disabled my task manager from being opened.

What exactly can I do to completely rid myself of any lime wire end trail software / spyware and enable my task manager back again without having to completely reformat my computer (which I plan on doing after I purchase a 200gig external drive to back all of my files on)?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

To fix the Task Manager, you can try an in-place upgrade (aka repair installation) for XP; instructions can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp

Follow these steps to remove LimeWire:

Open the LimeWire folder.
Open the folder UninstallerData.
Double click the Uninstall LimeWire icon (or something similar).
Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the program.
Go to C:\Program Files and delete the LimeWire folder.

Set a System Restore Point, to prevent trouble if you make a mistake.
Go to Start, Run, type regedit in the box, and hit Enter.
At the top of the Registry Editor window, click on File, and then Export. In the Export range panel (at the bottom), click All, give the file a name, and then Save your registry as a backup to a location where you will be able to locate it easily if necessary.

Go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. If you find the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\limeshop, delete it and reboot the machine immediately.

Remove these registry items (if present) with RegEdit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\limeshop preferences
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\menuorder\start menu\programs\limewire
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\9e11dbbf317d89b4f92af7d63ab22d26
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\a8cebe6cec02c7d40a450c6455a6ad2e
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\c0da82cffcfbb79419d1189c955ee262
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\limeshop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\bet.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\bonzi.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\browserpage.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.html
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limewire.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limewire.jar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\money.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\root\magnet10\options.js
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\limeshop.xml
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\limewire
HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-21-725345543-1078145449-1343024091-500\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\limeshop preferences
HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-21-725345543-1078145449-1343024091-500\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\menuorder\start menu\programs\limewire
Exit Regedit.

Remove these directories (if present) with Windows Explorer:
commonprograms+\limewire
programfilesdir+\limeshop
programfilesdir+\limewire

That should do it!

To fix the Task Manager, you can try an in-place upgrade (aka repair installation) for XP; instructions can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp

Follow these steps to remove LimeWire:

Open the LimeWire folder.
Open the folder UninstallerData.
Double click the Uninstall LimeWire icon (or something similar).
Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the program.
Go to C:\Program Files and delete the LimeWire folder.

Set a System Restore Point, to prevent trouble if you make a mistake.
Go to Start, Run, type regedit in the box, and hit Enter.
At the top of the Registry Editor window, click on File, and then Export. In the Export range panel (at the bottom), click All, give the file a name, and then Save your registry as a backup to a location where you will be able to locate it easily if necessary.

Go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. If you find the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\limeshop, delete it and reboot the machine immediately.

Remove these registry items (if present) with RegEdit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\limeshop preferences
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\menuorder\start menu\programs\limewire
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\9e11dbbf317d89b4f92af7d63ab22d26
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\a8cebe6cec02c7d40a450c6455a6ad2e
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\c0da82cffcfbb79419d1189c955ee262
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\limeshop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\bet.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\bonzi.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\browserpage.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.html
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limewire.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limewire.jar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\money.url
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\root\magnet10\options.js
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\limeshop.xml
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\limewire
HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-21-725345543-1078145449-1343024091-500\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\limeshop preferences
HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-21-725345543-1078145449-1343024091-500\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\menuorder\start menu\programs\limewire
Exit Regedit.

Remove these directories (if present) with Windows Explorer:
commonprograms+\limewire
programfilesdir+\limeshop
programfilesdir+\limewire

That should do it!

My regedit does not stay open when I run it from the msconfig screen. It gives me a dos window and then closes immediately.

You may have problems other then LimeWire; I suggest you review the last link in my signature block below for some info on HijackThis, and then post a HijackThis log here for analysis.

You can also try running regedit from Safe Mode and see if it will work from there.

There is nothing wrong with limewire, what is it with you people!?

I only read the first one, because I dont have time read read a lot, but limewire never installed anything on my computer without me knowing. ONLY download limewire if its from limewire.com. If you download it from somewhere else it could very well not be the real limewire, but spyware of a virus or something.

LIMEWIRE ROCKS!!! WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU!!!!?????

lol
lol_hacker101

lol_hacker101-

Please do not bump old topics, expessially when it is not constructive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.