Good day to all, Im creating a computer laboratory admission system, and one of the functions of my program using a bar code reader, this how the system runs, assuming that mr. villa has the bar code and the code is 00123456789 then after you scanned it, it will look into a database which contains hundreds of info, maybe we have 400-500 students at our school, im one of them, after that the program will compare mr.villa's time comlab staying time and the current time
for example, mr. villa scanned at 2:14pm, and his staying time at comlab is 2:00-3:00pm, so it means he is 14minutes late, the program will unlock the door and mr.villa can now enter the computer laboratory,
how can i compare the current time to the time in and time out of the students in the database?
i need to consider also the days, some students have Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes, or Tuesday, Thursday classes and so on...

I have a code but that is only for the input of the code "ive only used textbox to input student number because im still looking for a bar code reader"

my database columns are

StudentName, TimeIn, TimeOut, StudentID "the student number it is unique but i didnt set it as primary key", 1day, 2day, 3day "1day symbolizes the first day of the week a student needs to go to school for example his 1day is monday, 2day is wednesday, 3day is friday, if a student has only 2 days of classes in the comlab im inputting the 3day as none"

ive attached a SS of the database and the current program at vb to give you an idea

Dim WithEvents pol As Timer

Private Sub cmdInput_Click()

Adodc1.RecordSource = "select * from Login where 1day like '" + txtInput.Text + "'"
Adodc1.Refresh

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
Form1.BorderStyle = fixedsingle

Set pol = Form1.Controls.Add("vb.timer", "pol", Form1)
With pol: .Interval = 200: .Enabled = True: End With

Adodc1.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & App.Path & "\studentdatabase.mdb;Persist Security Info=False"
Adodc1.RecordSource = "Select * from Login"
Set DataGrid1.DataSource = Adodc1

End Sub
Private Sub Pol_Timer()
txtTime.Text = Format$(Time, "hh:mm:ss AM/PM")
txtDate.Text = Format$(Now, " mmmm dd, yyyy")
txtDay.Text = Format$(Now, "dddd")
End Sub

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If understand this correctly, try the following-

Dim MyTime As Date, DataTime As Date

MyTime = Format(Now, "hh:mm:ss")
DataTime = 'Get the time from your database here

If MyTime > DataTime Then
   ' Code to Open Door
      Else
   Code To Close Door
End IF

i think that helps but can you always visit me in this thread if i have another questions? thanks :))

It was a pleasure.:)

First things first, please mark this as solved. The solved button is at the bottom of this.

Secondly, if you have any more questions, please open a new post and I will be there. I will see this thread as closed and will not answer anything more on this, except for the original question.;)

Dim MyTime As Date, DataTime As Date

MyTime = Format(Now, "hh:mm:ss")
DataTime = 'Get the time from your database here

If MyTime > DataTime Then
   ' Code to Open Door
      Else
   Code To Close Door
End IF

can you fill up the 'Get the time from your database here' ive taken SQL a long time ago and im having a hard time reviewing it, the info of my system is attached you can also see the fields

You will be using something like -

myRS.Open "SELECT MyDateField FROM MyTableName WHERE DateValue(" & "'" TextDate.Text & "')", con, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

If myRS.EOF = True Or myRS.BOF = True Then
Exit sub
Else
DataTime = myRS!MyDateField

You can also do this without the "DateValue()" part.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.