I am trying to access files in a folder. The folder name and location will be given - the program will search inside the files in that folder for a specific pattern(yup like grep). However, I am not sure how to actually let my program know what are the files available and access them one by one.

I could use pipe in unix or linux. As for Win XP I could only think of using the system("dir > tmpfilename") and thus saving the output it into a temporary file. Then taking the file names from that file.

Please let me know if anyone of you have a better idea as how to do the job. I cannot use win32 because the program would be used as an example in a class introducing the C programming language. So it means no C++ as well. Is there any way to make the code portable(I doubt)?

On MS-Windows, use FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile(). There are lots of examples how to use those two functions floating around, just use google to search for them.

>>I cannot use win32 because the program would be used as an example in a class introducing the C programming language

How to get those filenames is an os-specific task -- you will have to use win32 api functions. Yes, they can be used in console applications, just include windows.h. And it does not require any knowlege of c++. But it does require a little more then absolute beginner's knowledge. Need to know about loops, and structures and character arrays. If that is too much then you probably should pick a different example.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.