Thursday is the American Thanksgiving holiday. :) We adopted the annual celebration from the UK -- where they got it from is anyone's guess. It was originally a religious holiday to give thanks for good and bountiful crop harvests that year. Now, its still celebrated during the fall but the religious part has pretty much disappeared.

Thursday is also a Nation Day of Mourning for the thousands of native americans who are still alive, to honor their dead who were massacred by settling europeans and who are to this day being treated as second-class citizens. The attempted genocide of the jews during WWII is nothing compared to the almost complete genocide of the native american indians.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Happy Thanksgiving. I do not really celebrate the American tradition (my girlfriend is going to her family's house up the street for dinner tomorrow night-- they eat around 10 PM, not so early per tradition-- she is Cuban and their meal is a bit different, actually much better than your typical holiday fare. I will be here on the computer smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee :cheesy: then will probably enjoy left-overs brought back from her Mom's house. I am very thankful for so much in my life, but the tradition-- I can take it or leave it, I guess.

This is a cool video-- makes you think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4402201791353828424&q=native+americans+thanksgiving

Cheers! ;)

Matty

I guess you really can't make anyone enjoy anything... but as for sharky_machine, i have to say: you don't know what you're missing.

Well, Sharky, it isn't the food you put on your table, but the spirit of being thankful for what you have and enjoying the company of loved ones that is important. Sure, turkey is traditional meal, but anything will really work as well.

That's a very good film you posted; a little old but most of it is still relevent.

Thanksgiving

My tradition:Eat
Drink
Watch Football
Visit with family and friends
Relax(In no particular order.)

Sometimes my immediate family goes back to our hometown, in whole or in part. Sometimes -- like this year -- we're all on our own (but phone calls are made to the missing parties).

We're turkey folk, not ham. My big 4: turkey, mashed 'taters & gravy, stuffing; repeat as necessary. Sometimes, depending on the venue, I dabble into other offerings.
---
What is your Thanksgiving "tradition"?

I guess you really can't make anyone enjoy anything... but as for sharky_machine, i have to say: you don't know what you're missing.

No, I know what I'm missing. Thanksgiving is in the attitude of life and the heart.

The tradition:

• Thanksgiving food: Not my fave.
  • Family: I really have none.
  • Football: I don't watch sports.
  • Beer: I don't drink.

I wish all who celebrate it a festive time. I guess I just prefer Christmas better. :)

My extended family always goes out to a restaurant on Thanksgiving. We're not big cooks as you can tell from the Dani's Cookbook thread.

What happens on Thanksgiving day ?

In memory of which event is this day celebrated ?

I have no idea :) It's "turkey day" and you eat a lot with family. That's all I know.

I have no idea . It's "turkey day" and you eat a lot with family. That's all I know.

I expected something more *enlightening* :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!

he Pilgrims were particularly thankful to Squanto, the Indian who taught them how to catch eel, grow corn and serve as interpreter for them (Squanto had learned English on a previous trip to Europe). Without Squanto's help the Pilgrims might not have survived in the new world.

Ahhhhh....
So here it goes, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you people.

PS: Its good to have you back Mr. Dave, long time no see.

he Pilgrims were particularly thankful to Squanto, the Indian who taught them how to catch eel, grow corn and serve as interpreter for them (Squanto had learned English on a previous trip to Europe). Without Squanto's help the Pilgrims might not have survived in the new world.

Aaahhww...

But wait! So to thank the indians for this act of goodwill, the Americans killed thousands of them a few 100 years later (19th century) and put the rest in resorts like wild animals... But hey! At least 1 day each year there's still a day to celebrate that an indian in 1621 helped his future oppressors :(

Personally I like this explenation better:

Thanksgiving Day, is an annual one-day holiday to give thanks (traditionally to God) for the things one has at the close of the harvest season.

(also from wikipedia btw)

commented: Right On. Good Post. Cheers! +1

Aaahhww...

But wait! So to thank the indians for this act of goodwill, the Americans killed thousands of them a few 100 years later (19th century) and put the rest in resorts like wild animals... But hey! At least 1 day each year there's still a day to celebrate that an indian in 1621 helped his future oppressors.

Personally I like this explenation better:

Depends on one's view point...you like one explanation, I like another.

Depends on one's view point...

True, I agree that it's a good reason to celebrate when you remember someone for his good deeds. But in whole I find the idea a little hypocritical.

True, I agree that it's a good reason to celebrate when you remember someone for his good deeds. But in whole I find the idea a little hypocritical.

Hehe I am not celebrating..there is no such thing like "Thanksgiving Day" in our country. I was just being funny saying that the day they are enjoying so much is due to the guidance and help provided by an India....

there is no such thing like "Thanksgiving Day" in our country

Neither is it where I live.

due to the guidance and help provided by an India

Exactly :)

Nick:

You are correct, it is hypocritical. But it is portrayed with wonderful sincerity :rolleyes: . Now, I do believe that the best of our citizens do indeed try to use this day as a time to "give thanks". That is is inherently good. I believe this is a day people use to gather with their family with a sense of peaceful intentions. Supposedly. I believe it is primarily a day reserved for gluttony and a long weekend (in some cases), an extra day off work. It IS a holiday, so Americans should just enjoy it as such however their family, culture, or people celebrate (this includes choosing not to celebrate it, also).

As an American I find it is not quite enough to jam pack all my appreciation into one 24-hour period then moan and groan the rest of the year about how much life sucks.

Thanksgiving to me is like this: I am a Christian and I try to attend church when I am able to BUT, saying church is the ONLY place God exists is like saying Thanksgiving is the place and time to be thankful. God is everywhere and thanks should be contemplated at all times as all of us located in the States or Western Europe are bloody fortunate and we live like Gentry in most cases. I am very thankful for all I have, turkey or not. :cheesy:

Now, I do believe that the best of our citizens do indeed try to use this day as a time to "give thanks". That is is inherently good.

True

As an American I find it is not quite enough to jam pack all my appreciation into one 24-hour period

This is exactly what I mean. I really like the idea to encourage people to be gratefull for what they have. But this comes natural to me and I don't need a special day for it. The idea of thankgiving is a good one, but the orginal reason does not make any sence to me.

I find it is not quite enough to jam pack all my appreciation into one 24-hour period then moan and groan the rest of the year about how much life sucks.

:) You wouldn't have any time left to post on daniweb

What happens on Thanksgiving day ?

In memory of which event is this day celebrated ?

Obviously you did not read my any of my original post. If you had you would have know what this holiday is all about.

And you would have found that it is a "day of mourning" to most native american indians because it was (mostly) the white europeans who pulled the "genocide effect" on them and nearly succeeded.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.