It's 3.1.2007... and there's no snow on the ground O_o... Does anyone have any snow, and who is the snow thief? Is it the global warming or is it just random... The newspaper said there hasn't been this little snow in 178 years and I'm starting to get a little scared. Is all the talks about the global warming true! Then shouldn't Finland be a warning exampel to everybody... AND FOR CRISTH SAKE LET THERE BE SOME SNOW HERE!!!!! I want to play hockey!:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

It's 3.1.2007... and there's no snow on the ground O_o... Does anyone have any snow, and who is the snow thief? Is it the global warming or is it just random... The newspaper said there hasn't been this little snow in 178 years and I'm starting to get a little scared. Is all the talks about the global warming true! Then shouldn't Finland be a warning exampel to everybody... AND FOR CRISTH SAKE LET THERE BE SOME SNOW HERE!!!!! I want to play hockey!:sad:

I LOVE WINTER, er... I did. It seems to no longer exist as we knew it. Who is the "snow thief"? All the Western over-industrialized nations and their spoiled citizens who must absolutely own at least two cars and drive them both everyday:evil: Mix in over-population and you have a beautiful mess. Wait until the seas begin to rise, or rise even more than they already are doing so at the present moment. Forget about the snow, I suggest you buy a gas-mask and a chem-suit as the future is near and it does not look pretty. :cheesy::cry:

Happy Winter.

sharky_machine

I don't know if global warming is really true.

For one thing, we have only been measuring weather patterns in the last 100 years or so. That's not very much at all. If you really wanted to make a hypothesis, you should have far more data.

Secondly, the earth's temperature has been heating and cooling for thousands of years. Scientists predicted that the earth was very warm when dinosaurs lived. It then cooled down (quite a bit!) in the Ice Age. It's warmed up since then. This is before we started polluting the earth, so how can you come to the conclusion that just because the last few winters were crappy that it's all because of us?

Furthermore, we've been having a winter as cold as any in the recent years, being snowed in for over 2 days, snow plows working like mad, and sand being thrown all over the road. Nope, it's sure not a mild winter up here.

Just my opinion.

Thank you, Joe. I get really tired of hearing that glogal warming is caused by "over-industrialized nations and their spoiled citizens". It's a proven fact that it is a natural cycle and we have little or nothing to do with it.

And add to that the average yearly temperature has risen a whopping 1.1 degree F (0.6 C) over the last century. Gee, in 600 years the low temp where I live could be -20F! Gee, that's too warm for me!

And, no, even this information is not the last word on the subject, but it does attempt to explain many of the alleged realities we see.

I agree with joe and Walt. And we had about as much snow here as we've had the last several years, meaning a smidgen right at the beginning of December and nothing after. Correction, we had a little more than usual. Maybe I should start worrying about global cooling... ;)

Thank you, Joe. I get really tired of hearing that glogal warming is caused by "over-industrialized nations and their spoiled citizens". It's a proven fact that it is a natural cycle and we have little or nothing to do with it.

And add to that the average yearly temperature has risen a whopping 1.1 degree F (0.6 C) over the last century. Gee, in 600 years the low temp where I live could be -20F! Gee, that's too warm for me!

And, no, even this information is not the last word on the subject, but it does attempt to explain many of the alleged realities we see.

I understand what you are saying. I realize that the geological weather cycles have fluctuated greatly (as has been "proven" and as I would assume to some degree-- weather and it's cycles fluctuate locally, internationally, and over great expanses of time.)

As to global warming being some type of myth or even better yet, a "Liberal scare-tactic" (NOTE: I am far from being a "Liberal"), I am afraid it is not entirely the case. I am not a scientist nor a meteorologist so I am unable to provide volumes of data at the moment. What I have seen is not promising.

"Global Warming"

The extent of the scientific consensus on global warming—that "most of the observed warming over the last 50 years is likely to have been attributable to human activities"[1]—has been investigated: In the journal Science in December 2004, Dr Naomi Oreskes published a study of the abstracts of 928 refereed scientific articles in the ISI citation database identified with the keywords "global climate change". This study concluded that 75% of the 928 articles either explicitly or implicitly accepted the consensus view — the remainder of the articles covered methods or paleoclimate and did not take any stance on recent climate change. The study did not report how many of the 928 abstracts explicitly accepted the hypothesis of human-induced warming, but none of the 928 articles surveyed accepted any other hypothesis

I suppose the breaking-off of massive and reportedly "ancient" ice shelves in Antartica is a typical event, and since we can neither prove or deny this fact via recorded history before, say, the 1800's at best, (as we so much better can the Prehistoric weather cycles :confused:) I suppose this is cyclical as well? Perhaps, in part, of course. I hope so.

I am open to learning the truth on this matter based on empirical data. To deny though that over-industrialized nations and their, yes, spoiled citizens have some role in the destruction and modification of their enviroment is outlandish, and this includes possibly the unintentional manipulation of the weather patterns. I believe there is data to support this possibility although it is most likely, I admit, inconclusive at this point. Let us not forget the ozone hole that is proven, monitored, and fluctuating (+-) annually.

The entire topic (beyond even global warming) is a massive research topic and one that requires many fields of study to gather data and mine it. I am glad that so many nations around the world are giving resources to these topics that could affect out species so. Thanks to you both for your opinions and input ;)

regards,
sharky_machine

I have no snow :( My friend did think it was snowing this morning but he was wrong. I think it is global warming fault.

we also have no snow -- and it pleases me to no end! I hate the stuff, shoveling it off the roads and driveways is a lot of work. If I want to see snow I'll drive into the mountains (which I have not done in the past 25 years). The only places where show should be allowed is in sky resort areas where people enjoy breaking arms and legs, and getting buried alive in snow avalanches.

we also have no snow -- and it pleases me to no end! I hate the stuff, shoveling it off the roads and driveways is a lot of work. If I want to see snow I'll drive into the mountains (which I have not done in the past 25 years). The only places where show should be allowed is in sky resort areas where people enjoy breaking arms and legs, and getting buried alive in snow avalanches.

I also hate shoveling the snow all the time but theres still something I like about the winter... I don't know what it is but something, maybe the freshness of the air or the landscape (or just the hockey :cheesy: )

I like to see the snow but I don't like doing anything with it but I don't get that oportunity because the snow in th Uk is normally just slushy rubbish. I would really like to go skiing though.

The same people who now scream "Global warming disaster, the icecaps are melting and everyone will die!!!!!!!" 20 years ago screamed "global cooling disaster, we're heading straight for a new ice age!!!!!!!".

Fact: the climate has seen far greater and faster changes than we see now in the past when there were no humans at all.
Fact: the predicted changes by the alarmists are smaller than the margin of error in the calculations used.
Fact: Without "global warming" and "greenhouse effect" we'd be in deep freeze, with the earth averaging -15C instead of +15C.
Fact: CO2 (the Holy Grail of climate alarmists) has a negligable influence on temperature levels.
Fact: Russian climatologists, using data gathered in Siberia, are now predicting a mini ice age within the next 50 years, with severe temperature drops for at least several decades after that.
Fact: During the last ice age atmospheric CO2 levels were several times higher than they are now.
Fact: The earth now has large desert areas which are growing. This is historically (from fossil evidence we know this) a precursor to an ice age.
Fact: We're in an unstable climate era, in the latter part of an interglacial. During such eras the climate will often fluctuate rapidly and unpredictably.

i'm living in a tropical country so there really is no snow in our place...

MYTH: Even if the Earth is warming, we can't be sure how much, if any, of the warming is caused by human activities.

FACT: There is international scientific consensus that most of the warming over the last 50 years is due to human activities, not natural causes.

Over millions of years, animals and plants lived, died and were compressed to form huge deposits of oil, gas and coal. In little more than 300 years, however, we have burned a large amount of this storehouse of carbon to supply energy. Today, the by-products of fossil fuel use - billions of tons of carbon (in the form of carbon dioxide), methane, and other greenhouse gases - form a blanket around the Earth, trapping heat form the sun, unnaturally raising temperatures on the ground, and steadily changing our climate.

The impacts associated with this deceptively small change in temperature are evident in all corners of the globe. There is heavier rainfall in some areas, and droughts in others. Glaciers are melting, Spring is arriving earlier, oceans are warming, and coral reefs are dying.

What if fossil fuels aren't fossil fuels?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiotic_oil

What if the cycle is overwhelmingly normal?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy#Global_warming_and_carbon_dioxide

My favorite thing about "scientific consensus" is it brought us things like "bleeding", too.

The only places where show should be allowed is in sky resort areas

Hehe, now they're really getting desperate for snow, aren't they? :cheesy:

i'm living in a tropical country so there really is no snow in our place...

What's your address? I'll mail you some....

Texas has been UNUSALLY cold this winter, we normally don't break freezing before the end of January, and this year, we hit freezing in November! We even had 2 days of Snow if that isn't freaky enough, I think it is the first time in 10 years we had snow in december.

In fact, Dani and I were just talking about how Texas was colder than New York, for almost 2 weeks straight.

All skiing resorts in finland have closed down... and some of my friends are almost professionals and their starting to think of commiting suicide becouse there is no snow. I don't think that anyone is home right know... they all retreted to lappland :lol: . We had snow for a week in november (:!:) but then it melted away and since then there has been no snow

Texas has been UNUSALLY cold this winter, we normally don't break freezing before the end of January, and this year, we hit freezing in November! We even had 2 days of Snow if that isn't freaky enough, I think it is the first time in 10 years we had snow in december.

In fact, Dani and I were just talking about how Texas was colder than New York, for almost 2 weeks straight.

Still no snowstorms here, and we usually have blizzards in NYC!! While there's usually a pretty good chance of having a white Christmas, the news reporter announced that this year was a "soggy Christmas" as it was rainy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.