This is taken directly from a handout I was given this year in AP Government and Politics.

Ponder This

Can you imagine working at the following company?

It has a little over 500 employees with the following statistics:

*29 have been accused of spousal abuse
*7 have been arrested for fraud
*19 have been accused of writing bad checks
*117 have bankrupted at least two businesses
*3 have been arrested for assault
*71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
*14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
*21 are current defendants in lawsuits
*In 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving.

Can you guess which organization this is?

It is the 535 members of your United States Congress.

The same group that perpetually cranks out hundreds and hundreds of new laws designed to keep the rest of us in line.

Something to ponder.

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Scary when you actually start taking notice of government and politics isn't it :P It's a shame many just don't pay any attention.

Wow.. that is interesting..

heh......the congress is full of pimps in powdered wigs.

ha... you should take a look to ours... all of them are corrupted, and several crimes are repeated towards them... and they're there just to pick big fat checks, worth enough to pay for the lifetime education of one single kid...

You just described our Congress.

omg... it must be worldwide then... haha... here we're all screwed up and all they do is put their fat asses on expensive chairs, waiting for the day to end...

*cough* Dick Cheney *cough*

lol

*cough* Dick Cheney *cough*

hahaha.. Damn corrupt politicians.. Humanity is doomed to complete and utter destruction. We are too greedy.. We are our biggest threat to extinction.

And one senitor from the state of MA who I will not mention by name should have been jailed for manslaughter some 30+ years ago.

*7 have been arrested for fraud
*19 have been accused of writing bad checks
*117 have bankrupted at least two businesses
*71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

What's the betting the 7 for fraud are involved in the other 3 things.

Depends. Are you specifying that each of the seven is involved in all of the other things, or merely that each of them has been involved in one or more of the other things?

One or more really, odds don't seem to work that their all different people.

I believe it is a world wide problem. There seems to one word which can be used to describe polititians anywhere they can be found - "Corruption!":$. Look at Ancient dragon and Nichito for instance, they are describing politicians on different continents and if you don't look closely you'll think they share the same county:sad:. Same here in Africa. My younger sibling wrote me from UK and told me that he thought that british legislators are above the insipient corruption that oozes out of our own "hallowed" chambers. He found out much to his disappointment that he was unfortunately wrong.

It is a human thing. There is always the dark side of man trying to come out when the circumstance and conditions are right. In so much that democracies world over vote large budget to maintain people with fat "behinds" and fat chairs, it would always attract well dressed crooks who are hell bent in having their "fair" share of the national cake.

My opinion has always been to make these legistlator(s) chairs a partime job having minimal budgets just to put them offices together.

"Hallowed Chambers", world over, breed "Hallowed crooks":angry:

Yeah, but they vote themselves pay raises. That's bull. I don't see how the founding fathers didn' see that loophole.

I think it's the path to office that requires corruption. Without corruption and greediness etc. one is unlikely to be in office so all the "good people" out there don't have a chance to lead our country because in order to get to that position they must go against their values.

Well, the opposite of PRO is CON. So opposite of PROgress is ...

ha... you should take a look to ours... all of them are corrupted, and several crimes are repeated towards them... and they're there just to pick big fat checks, worth enough to pay for the lifetime education of one single kid...

i dont think the american politicians are worse than mine either.

mine can be divided into two groups.

group one is utterly incompetent and we have problems ranging from undrinkable tab water all the way up to the rampant rape and murder of small children.

the second group are intelligent enough to steel in either legally or illegally. with legal theft i mean writting yourself a paycheck of many thousands or millions of Rands as a performance bonus while your organization is in fact making a loss.

hahaha.. Damn corrupt politicians.. Humanity is doomed to complete and utter destruction. We are too greedy.. We are our biggest threat to extinction.

How long did it take for you to figure that out.All the trash in the oceans and destroying the ozone layer.

So what does everyone think for the election in '08 as far as candidates and issues? Anyone voting in the primaries like me?

I'll vote in the democrat and republican primaries :)

Obama is my man on the dems, but I have no idea who I want to win on the republican side..

I'll vote in the democrat and republican primaries :)

Obama is my man on the dems, but I have no idea who I want to win on the republican side..

Bah, you're lucky in that Texas has an open primary. No such luck for me and I'm registered independent - can't vote in the primaries at all :(

hah well that sucks.. The majority of states hold closed primaries though, I think..

It's 25 open and 25 closed I thought. Either way it is pretty even. Ohio's is opened. What's your strategy with Obama? Do you actually like him for a democrat or are you voting for the least likely democrat to stand a chance against the republicans like some people do? I'll ote for either Hilary or Edwards for the dems. I don't know about the rebublican primary yet.

WTF? Hilary? OMG Hell no. Here's how it's going down: If Hilary wins the democratic nomination then the Republicans will retake the executive. However, if just about any other dem wins the nomination then the dems will control both the legislative and executive branches. In my opinion, people are fed up with the Republican rule, and are ready for a change. We are not ready for Hilary, though.

Obama is a very moderate Democrat. I don't see him proposing any extreme left policies. He is very intelligent, and a great pick for the dems. I may even vote for him in the presidential election if he wins the democratic nomination..

btw, he's a smoker, Dave ;)

He's too moderate for me. But I hate when people say this country just isn't ready for a female or a black president. 231 years and still not ready? Blacks and females have been here for all 231 of those years so I think we're ready for it. But I think you're right. A female candidate will show a better turnout for the republicans but I don't think it would completely rule it out for the democrats. George Bush f'd up so many things for his party that I think America would vote Joe Shmoe as president before another republican (this year at least) considering it's just a bunch of joe shmoe's that vote.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.