I miss this default vB behavior, where when viewing Who's Online the threads to which I have posted have an indicator showing which thread(s) I have posted to. Can something like this be reinstated?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

This behaviour was never on who's online. The only change made to the Who's Online page from the vBulletin default is the ability to see forum-specific who's online lists.

This behaviour was never on who's online.

Not from what I recall. I'll try to gather a screenshot today.

[edit]Found one.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Are former moderators still privy to information like I.P addresses of the general users?

Not I for what I know.

And do former moderators have access to Area 51 or whatever it is called?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these folks have such access.

Dave,

The little checkmark icon is not an indicator of threads you've posted in but actually threads you're subscribed to. There is a vBulletin switch that enables this icon to appear next to all thread listings throughout the site ... on forum pages, thread display pages, who's online pages, etc. It was turned off a couple of months ago to conserve resources because the vBulletin documentation indicates that this is one of about 5 options that can have a large effect on performance due to large MySQL table scans.

However, because we migrated to brand new servers last week, it is now feasable to reenable this option. However, I have to look into this a bit more because it seems that not very many people realized what the icon was really an indicator for. If it's going to be resource intensive, I want people to at least know what it's a notification for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these folks have such access.

All of the people on that page have access to Area 51 and have the ability to disable the banner advertising across DaniWeb, two of the benefits available to sponsors.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these folks have such access.

The link you have provided shows a list of names for team colleagues. Since you are asking whether team colleagues have access to area 51 (being a team colleague yourself) does that mean dani curtailed some of your privileges?

The link Dave provided shows a link to a page of Moderators, Admins, and Team Colleagues. While Dave is included in one of those groups (Team Colleagues) he might not have been aware if all team colleagues have access to area 51, if there are other people not on that page who have access, etc. For example, while everyone on that page has access to Area 51, sponsors do as well, and they're not listed on that page.

The little checkmark icon is not an indicator of threads you've posted in but actually threads you're subscribed to. There is a vBulletin switch that enables this icon to appear next to all thread listings throughout the site ... on forum pages, thread display pages, who's online pages, etc. It was turned off a couple of months ago to conserve resources because the vBulletin documentation indicates that this is one of about 5 options that can have a large effect on performance due to large MySQL table scans.

However, because we migrated to brand new servers last week, it is now feasable to reenable this option. However, I have to look into this a bit more because it seems that not very many people realized what the icon was really an indicator for. If it's going to be resource intensive, I want people to at least know what it's a notification for.

Sounds fair. Chalk me up in the "I like this feature" column.

(And I knew it was subscriptions, but I have a poor way with words.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.