I am trying to print this to a dialog box. The code prints to console and prints, 1,2,3,4....12 to the dialog box. Can someone give me some advice on printing to a dialog box the verses to the dialog?

import javax.swing.*; // program uses class JOptionPane

public class TwelveDays
{
	// main method begins execution of Java application
	public static void main( String args[] ) 
	{

int day = 1;
	String verse = "";

for (day = 1; day <= 12; day++)	{

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, verse);

switch(day)
	{
	case 1:
	  	System.out.println ("On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me:" );

case 2:
		System.out.println ("On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");

case 3:
		System.out.println ("On the thrid day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 4:
		System.out.println ("On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 5:
		System.out.println ("On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 6:
		System.out.println ("On the sixth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 7:
		System.out.println ("On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 8:
		System.out.println ("On the eigth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 9:
		System.out.println ("On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 10:
		System.out.println ("On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 11:
		System.out.println ("On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;
	case 12:
		System.out.println ("On the twelveth day of Christmas my true love sent to me:");
		break;

}

switch(day)
	{
	case 12:
		verse += "12 Drummers Drumming";
	case 11:
		verse += "Eleven Pipers Piping";
	case 10: 
		verse += "Ten Lords a Leaping";
	case 9:
		verse += "Nine Ladies Dancing";
	case 8:
		verse += "Eight Maids a Milking";
	case 7:
		verse += "Seven Swans a Swimming";
	case 6:
		verse += "Six Geese a Laying";
	case 5:
		verse += "Five Golden Rings";
	case 4:
		verse += "Four Calling Birds";
	case 3:
		verse += "Three French Hens";
	case 2:
		verse += "Two Turtle Doves";
	case 1:
		verse += "a Partridge in a Pear Tree";
		break;

}

}

} // end method main

} // end class twelveDays

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

to print to a dialog have a class extending the JDialog Class e.g

public MyClass extends JDialog{
         private JTextArea display = new JTextArea(70,70);
          public MyClass(){
              add(display);   
          }
}

A JTextArea object would be hand for it allows one to append text as follows

JTextArea display = new JTextArea(40,40);
display.append( sometext );

I am using Verse+= part to help me append to a dialog box with Joption.pane. But I cannot get the verse in.

you missing break after most cases in your switch statement

He wants that, because the song goes

On the twelveth Day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
12 Drmmers Drumming
11 Pipers Piping
10 .....

@OP

Make a Dialog with a Label (or JTextPane would probably be better), then in the first switch you want to use component.setText("string") . Then, everyplace else you should add text, you want to use component.setText(component.getText() + "string") .

Give that a try, then, if you have problems, come back and post that code, and we will see if we can help you further.

Also, don't forget to add a "\n" to the end of each of those Strings (although I don't believe a Label honors those, but a "<BR>" would work in a Label). Then, maybe, add a short sleep after each text block (if you want to introduce a little pause between each line for effect).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.