Hi all,

I'm trying to see if this programmer knows what he is talking about.

I'm going to be changing all my files from .phtml to either .htm or .php

I have a small amount of php on my site... http://www.exoticpublishing.com

This programmer is saying that I can change it to .htm & it won't harm anything b/c there is little to no php on the site.

Another programmer is telling me NO, I have to make it .php

What do you guys think?

Thanks & TTYL

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

In almost all cases, if a page contains no PHP code, it can have either a .php or a .htm extension. If a page does contain even one line of actual PHP code, it must have a .php extension.

To be perfectly honest though, anyone with a dedicated server can edit their Apache httpd configuration to allow any extension to be an alias for any other extension. For example, you can say that .htm and .phtml are both aliases for .php, and therefore all 3 can run PHP code. Doing this would take a system administrator / linux techie type person to make the appropriate change.

If you add the following line to your .htaccess file then files ending .html or .phtml will be treated the same as those ending .php

AddHandler server-parsed .html .phtml

Thanks guys. I'm trying to establish if this guy really knows anything about developing web sites, or he's just a DB programmer.

Take care

Michelle

If you add the following line to your .htaccess file then files ending .html or .phtml will be treated the same as those ending .php

AddHandler server-parsed .html .phtml

I like this idea, but could this same idea be used to lets say make a page read

http://www.example.com/index

instead of

http://www.example.com/index.htm

??

You can do that, but you have to tell the server to exicute that file (since it cannot be registered with a file type) I don't remember the code for this. You could also use mod_rewrite to remove the etentions off the files as well

You can do that, but you have to tell the server to exicute that file (since it cannot be registered with a file type) I don't remember the code for this. You could also use mod_rewrite to remove the etentions off the files as well

RewriteRule ^fileneame.*$ filename.php [L]

Using that line for mod_rewrite you could use anything, so if you went to filename.htm it would work, if you went to filename.file it would work, it would even work if you went to filename.thisisareallygreatwebsite . :D

Just remove the "." to make it only work at filename with no extension ;)

YOungCoder

This programmer is saying that I can change it to .htm & it won't harm anything b/c there is little to no php on the site.

Is he a logo programmer? An HTML programmer? People really abuse the heck out of that title. In all honestly, any decent programmer will tell you that there will be a change in your web pages even if you have the smallest amount of PHP code on your page.

Other than that, I would say pretty much the same thing everyone else said with extra mayo.

<sigh>

I don't know what he is.

He claims to have worked as a VP of a large company & his background is with DBs & he knows PHP.

I started getting worried when a few things didn't make sense, then this issue & now today another issue.

My problem is, he knows my user names & p/wds on some of my pages & since he was to be a suedo partner, I'm nervous, but I have to cut my ties. I can't keep wondering whether he really knows what he's talking about. :o

Wish me luck as I have a midnight meeting w/ him.

Michelle

Is he a logo programmer? An HTML programmer? People really abuse the heck out of that title. In all honestly, any decent programmer will tell you that there will be a change in your web pages even if you have the smallest amount of PHP code on your page.

Other than that, I would say pretty much the same thing everyone else said with extra mayo.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.