hello, I'm running Mac OSX and have been given a dell printer by a friend. Dell don't support Mac though. Is there any other driver i can use for my Mac which supports Dell printers?

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Possible solutions:
(1) Some printer functionality for otherwise unsupported Dell printers is available using the Generic Postscript driver.
(2) If you have the documentation for the Dell printer, check to see whether it can emulate any other printers for which you might find drivers.
(3) You might also try searching for drivers among the list of supported printers at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3.

hello, I'm running Mac OSX and have been given a dell printer by a friend. Dell don't support Mac though. Is there any other driver i can use for my Mac which supports Dell printers?

thanks

thanks

On DELL's web site you can find Mac OS drivers at least for some printers. While some people use them successfuly I have difficulties with them. E.G. with laser printers 3110cn 5100cn, each time I want to print from an application (whatever the application), the application quits.

Just got a new MacBook Pro running Snow Lepord, I have installed windows 7 and use Paralells software to switch between Mac & 7, I will try today to install my Dell V305 into 7 on the Mac.

Possible solutions:
(1) Some printer functionality for otherwise unsupported Dell printers is available using the Generic Postscript driver.
(2) If you have the documentation for the Dell printer, check to see whether it can emulate any other printers for which you might find drivers.
(3) You might also try searching for drivers among the list of supported printers at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3.

You can use an FX DocuPrint C525 A-AP v2.0 driver to get your dell printer working. Then modify the CUPS pages for the printer options to pull from the tray not the single feed like default. To modify your CUPS you need to type in a web browser localhost:631 and that should take you to the cups page to modify the printer. It has worked well with the macs I support and it has also worked well with networked printers. Just modify your CUPS settings to fit your needs.

Hope this helps. You can find the driver on apples support.apple.com and search for the driver or if you have Snow Leopard it is on the DVD under the print drivers.

Best luck.

thanks

You can use an FX DocuPrint C525 A-AP v2.0 driver to get your dell printer working. Then modify the CUPS pages for the printer options to pull from the tray not the single feed like default. To modify your CUPS you need to type in a web browser localhost:631 and that should take you to the cups page to modify the printer. It has worked well with the macs I support and it has also worked well with networked printers. Just modify your CUPS settings to fit your needs.

Hope this helps. You can find the driver on apples support.apple.com and search for the driver or if you have Snow Leopard it is on the DVD under the print drivers.

Best luck.

My situation is the same as the first one; I run OSX and have a dell 720 personal ink jet printer I need a driver for. Dell doesn't support OSX for this printer so I was wondering how to find which other printers it may emulate that are supported by dell for OSX, (or any other solutions for that matter).

thanks

I run OSX on a MAC G4. I just got a DELL 2130CN laser printer to replace the exact same printer. My daughter has this printer also, connected to her MAC. My husband handled all the tech stuff but he passed away in Feb. and I'm trying to get this running. I am not very computer literate. I called Dell tech support and they told me to call MAC tech support. Does anyone know where I can go to download the proper drivers. Instructions will need to be in simple easy to follow language. As I said, I am not very computer literate, but can follow directions.

It looks like it might be hard to get to work but if you do get it to work I would only expect basic printing and nothing special. Try the GIMP driver

Having problems setting up my Dell AIO Photo 966 printer to mac mini. No drivers can anyone HELP!

Having a problem getting my mac book to interface with my Dell computer. any advice?

need an apple driver for dell v515w printer

I was able to make my dell 944 AIO printer to work on a MacBookPro OS X Lion 10.7.4 by using the Lexmark 4300 Series!! just went on Lexmark website,

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=productSelection&channel=supportAndDownloads&locale=EN&userlocale=EN_US ,

researched the closest printer that resembled my printer and downloaded the driver. It downloaded the 4800 series but didn't work so i just went one class lower which was the 4300 series on my list and it started printing! Hope this helps anyone out there since i myself took hours of research till i finally was able to figure it out.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Dell 725W printer. Does anyone know where I can download the printer drivers for Mac OS10.7.4?

well it seems dell brand is not much assembeled in line with Apple MAc

Hey, I have a Dell 2130cn. I've managed to install every driver I can think of, including updated Gutenprint. I currently use the driver HP LaserJet 1320 - CUPS +Gutenprint v5.2.9. It allows me to print Landscape when I want, and I use the CUPS interface to alter my options.

But... I can't get color out of my color printer. I'm not sure how I was able to get it previously; it once worked like a charm. Now, greyscale (using the above driver) is the best I get. Please help!

Hey, I have a Dell 2130cn. I've managed to install every driver I can think of, including updated Gutenprint. I currently use the driver HP LaserJet 1320 - CUPS +Gutenprint v5.2.9. It allows me to print Landscape when I want, and I use the CUPS interface to alter my options.

Sorry for not clarifying, I am running this on Mac, 10.5.8

i have a dell 924 all in one printer-anybody knows what printer driver can i use on a mac?

I have a Dell 720 and use Mac OSX 10.5.8 Does anyone know of a driver I can use? Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.