Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question in, but here goes...
I have a new macbook air and I'm attempting to use a shared printer that's on my windows network. I can detect the printer, and it's installed on my mac, but when I try to print, I get an error that says "HOLD FOR AUTHENTICATION."
It give me an option to type in a user name and password, but I don't have one... my mac password doesn't work, and I don't have any user names or passwords on the windows machine. I really need to be able to use this printer over the network. PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

How are you accessing the printer? Direct to IP, Bonjour, Windows share?
IF this is on a network, it sounds like you didn't set it up... do you have an admin that can explain it to you?

If it is on a Windows share, it can be configured to require authentication, or be open. I would guess that it was configured for secure access, requiring a Windows AD / LDAP id and password.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.