Hello.
I have a Macbook with OS 10.5 . I Have an external drive that holds all my music over 47,000 songs. And I just recently had to put them all back into my library because I needed to clean up my Itunes (Duplicates started to form and things had got deleted) So I erased the library and then I imported from my external hard drive. well not I can modify the info of my library because the files are locked. And I cant go through and select each file individually. And there are 1000s of folders in there to go through. I was wondering if there was any way I could just unlock everything on the hard drive.

Thanks for the help
Tim.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Yep, the terminal comes in handy sometimes. Open it (/Applications/Utilities), and run the following command:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Music

Enter your password, and it will remove the lock flag on any file inside your Music directory.

Thanks, But I need to do it on the external which is labeled my book. How to I specify where it needs to do it . (what the correct syntax for that.)
The Locations for the files are.
/Volumes/My Book/Music
When i type that in to terminal it dosent do anything.

Thanks again :)

Okay, that's relatively simple - if there are spaces in a filename, you need to use quotes:

sudo chflags -R nouchg "/Volumes/My Book/Music"

I don't know how familiar you are with the terminal, but you do have to hit "enter" to execute commands.

ya I was hitting enter lol :) it was saying that there was no such directory. I was taught on DOS and im trying to learn terminal but it's a lil different with certain things. Thanks again you saved me hours and hours of time.

Thanks
Tim

Hello I have a IMac problem is iam pressing power baton its on and come white screen and apple logo and come buffer ring then automatically restart. So iam doing repair the mac os lepod now its come properly but OS partisan ok another 2 partisans is show Lock icon and not opend. I am trying permissions also but its not change. so How to open that partition please Help me lot of data is there Please Help

Genius !!! I Findit your Unix tip, I can fix my external harddrive too.
Thanks
Plot

I have a white iMac that I got into via the command line applesetupdone. Once I got in I noticed the finder showed zero KB. The drive is locked as read only. How do I fix this???

Hello I have a IMac problem is iam pressing power baton its on and come white screen and apple logo and come buffer ring then automatically restart. So iam doing repair the mac os lepod now its come properly but OS partisan ok another 2 partisans is show Lock icon and not opend. I am trying permissions also but its not change. so How to open that partition please Help me lot of data is there Please Help

I have a PowerMac 6100/60 and it says the disk is locked. I have not been on a Mac for many years. I am working on getting old art documentation converted to my less old dell latitude. Maybe with your help I can get back to work. I am able to see old disks and after several hours I can see the old Zip 100m disks but not save or convert files. Disk Dr says that the drive is OK I can not launch programs from the internal drive or the zip.

Thank you for your time and help with fixing this if possible. I hope to use these old machines with video capture and I like the old look - We had "robots" that sent images to other artists via slow scan (phone lines) I also work with fabrics and the weaving texture is beautiful - This would not be something many people would want for image "quality"

hi, I have a macbook Pro and I created a seperate disk image so as to have my privete stuff password protected. I FORGOT the password to it, could anybody please help ?

thanks

Doesn't work for me. :(

sudo chflags -R nouchg

chflags: Macintosh HD/Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/Resources/DVDPlayer.help: Read-only file system

Thanks for the link, but that didn't actually answer my question

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.