My mixed network of Macs and PCs are served by a NT server, the macs run OS 8.6, 9.1, 10.2, 10.3, the OS X macs connect to the server but drop the connection after a period of time, reconnecting is easy it's just a nuisance, any help appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello Martin,

Do the OS X Macs disconnect after being idle for a few minutes? Are we talking minutes or hours? If the users are working on the computers, do they still drop off?

Thanks,

Christian

Hello Martin,

Do the OS X Macs disconnect after being idle for a few minutes? Are we talking minutes or hours? If the users are working on the computers, do they still drop off?

Thanks,

Christian

It seems to if they are not being used - after a few minutes

Thanks

Martin

I have had the same problems, I am currently running a win2000 network and servers with about 25 OSX boxes utilising the network also. The thing I have noticed is that the OSX machines time out when the servers are being used heavily or there is a couple people using a specific folder stucture. I believe that if there is anyway you can set the time out function under osx to a longer period this(" I believe this is the reason") that it disconnects people. This is a BIG issue for me and spending alot of time on resolving this issue. I shall post my finding over the next week or so.

I have had the same problems, I am currently running a win2000 network and servers with about 25 OSX boxes utilising the network also. The thing I have noticed is that the OSX machines time out when the servers are being used heavily or there is a couple people using a specific folder stucture. I believe that if there is anyway you can set the time out function under osx to a longer period this(" I believe this is the reason") that it disconnects people. This is a BIG issue for me and spending alot of time on resolving this issue. I shall post my finding over the next week or so.

I seem to recall reading something about adjusting packet sizes in the ethernet pane, but I'm not sure it was to do with this problem!!
Martin

I seem to recall reading something about adjusting packet sizes in the ethernet pane, but I'm not sure it was to do with this problem!!
Martin

I have given that ago but have still had the same problem!! This is getting annoying!! I have tried several different things with the packet sizes but with no luck. I am thinking of putting another mirrored set in and increase the bandwidth by adding another 100Mb network card in the server and see if that works. I dont have a high level of unix expierence so i dont want to start playing with the inner workings as yet!! Any Ideas and I definatly up for it!!

Hi,

I wish I could simulate this in my lab and work with you on a fix.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.