I was downloading an Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie using Internet Explorer when my Imac froze up. I restarted the computer and started Internet Explorer and it asked me if I wanted to continue downloading the movies and I figured I better not since my computer never freezes and that is what I was doing when it did freeze. Well then I had these useless files on my desktop and when I go to trash them it says I can't because "The item "dumber days.avi" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the Trash.) Try again when the other task is complete." I restarted the finder and then the computer and still get this message. HELP!!! :evil:

Hi there,

do you use Mac os x? If yes, you could try it with the terminal.
(HD/Application/Utilities/Terminal)
Start it and you should be in your home.directory
type at the prompt: ls -la
and you will get a list of your directories.
If there is "Desktop" and your file is on the desktop type: cd Desktop
ls -la shows you now the desktop content. and there should be your not-removeable file listed.
At the prompt please write: rm -f filename (the filename must be spelled exactly... tip: type the first 2-3 letters of the filename and hit TAB and it will be completed automatically)
hit RETURN and it should work. :-)

If you dont have Mac OS X, try to hold down the option key while emptying the trash.

If nothing of this works, try a utility like Norton or something else.

But i hope some of the suggestions will work! :)

Nice time

dani_mac

I was downloading an Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie using Internet Explorer when my Imac froze up. I restarted the computer and started Internet Explorer and it asked me if I wanted to continue downloading the movies and I figured I better not since my computer never freezes and that is what I was doing when it did freeze. Well then I had these useless files on my desktop and when I go to trash them it says I can't because "The item "dumber days.avi" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the Trash.) Try again when the other task is complete." I restarted the finder and then the computer and still get this message. HELP!!! :evil:

Try using Shredder, it's shareware and it will permanently delete ANYTHING dragged onto it's icon.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.