Forgive me if this has been answered, I searched and couldn't find anything. I have several servers running on my LAN that i want to be able to access via host name instead of IP and port number (e.x. ted instead of 173.166.39.161:5000 for my ted 5000 energy monitor) because it is shorter to type and easier to remember than IP : Port. especially when I am off network.

I have the entries added to the hosts file have flushed DNS cache using "dscacheutil -flushcache" but my computer is ignoring my hosts file and going right to my DNS servers

I had found the tip of creating a second hosts file in the users home directory containing only "LookupOrder Cache NI FF DNS DS" and that has made no change ether.

I also read "You can enter the hostnames in netinfo (in Applications/Utilities)" elsewhere but I don't have netinfo in Applications/Utilities

On my windows machines all I need to do is edit the hosts file, flush DNS and I am up and running, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind... I am miss-remembering that the hosts file could support port numbers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.