Hey all,

Wanted to ask a question about the guest profile on Mountain Lion. I have always been a little insecure about changing and adding new feats to the terminal, so I'm trying to figure out a way that I can be more secure. I have recently edited both bash profile/rc to customize my needs. However, I think I want to take it a step further and start adding more elements to my environment. I'm a Web Developer, how about zsh?

I was wondering if I could use the Guest Profile to make changes that are not always be correct, or add a plugin thats not sturdy. In other words, I want a environment that I can mess around with, and another that is stable to my development needs. Can you even make changes to the Guest Profile since it's not an Admin? Should I just make a completely new user?

Anyways, hopefully I can get some feedback about this. I would really enjoy a new style to my terminal since I spend so much time at the command line all day.

~ slemp

Didn't you mother ever tell you not to play with live ammo? LOL Seriously though, if you want to do modifications on the unix level, why don't you partition you HD and set up two Installs of Mountain Lion. One for testing and one for live. I have four partitions, three are bootable. One is Lion, still waiting for some software to catch up and two with Mountain Lion. One is a pristine install with nothing installed but 10.8.2. I use this to test out tweaks and "modifications" before I bring it live. Saves my bacon many of times. No big deal if I have to reinstall. The app store allows you 5 copies for free so set up as many as you see fit!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.