I'm having exactly the same problem! I have a brand new imac (OS 10.5.2) and brand new office 2008 but everytime i try to open the drawing toolbar it freezes and i have to force quit. It doesnt freeze for anything else. The same thing happened on my last mac with an older version of word.... surely this cant be something that has never worked?!? I've looked for all the updates but there isnt any for my version yet. Does everyone have this problem or have i been very unlucky and got exactly the same problem twice? Help... I wanna do some drawings!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Seeing that you've described your problem completely, and the other thread was nearly 3 years old, I've moved your question into a separate thread.

I'm having exactly the same problem! I have a brand new imac (OS 10.5.2) and brand new office 2008 but everytime i try to open the drawing toolbar it freezes and i have to force quit. It doesnt freeze for anything else. The same thing happened on my last mac with an older version of word.... surely this cant be something that has never worked?!? I've looked for all the updates but there isnt any for my version yet. Does everyone have this problem or have i been very unlucky and got exactly the same problem twice? Help... I wanna do some drawings!!!!

The solution is to go into your Library and in the Preferences folder delete the Preference file for Word. Apparently when you install Office 2008, Word retains preferences from previous version(s) of Office and when you try to open the drawing toolbar the previous preference file corrupts the program.

I had the same annoying problem and deleting the preference file resolved it immediately.

Thank god for you guys, deleting the preferences file for Word has solved this irritating quirk instantly. Many thanks Andrew

"The solution is to go into your Library and in the Preferences folder delete the Preference file for Word. Apparently when you install Office 2008, Word retains preferences from previous version(s) of Office and when you try to open the drawing toolbar the previous preference file corrupts the program."

OK. I was so happy to see this. I had this problem in 2004 and had used 2008 for a while, but it just started acting up.

I jumped on this, but when I got in the Library, I was leery about which to delete:

com.microsoft.Word.plist
com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist
(both have 'Kind" as OOPlistDocumentType)
or
Microsoft Word with "Kind" as Microsoft Graph Preference
???
Thanks

Having problems with MS 2004 Word freezing up when I try to use the drawing toolbar. Looked in Preference folder located in Library, but there was nothing in there for MS Word or MS at all. Is there somewhere else I need to look or even an document address you can give me to Search. Really need this to be fixed.

Thank you!

Hi

Could somebody please tell me where the Library is and where the Preferences Folder is?

I too have the same problem where word freezes up every time I click on the drawing toolbar in Word. I am using OS X and have Office for Mac 2008.

Thanks

Sue

Hi

I found Library and Preferences and deleted com.microsoft.Word.plist

This worked immediately.

Thanks so much.

Sue

I have the same problem of freezing but can't find the preferences named above.

Here's another, though not elegant, solution.
Create your own custom toolbar and fill it with the drawing commands (or other commands) that you actually use often.
A related solution is to simply put those drawing commands on another toolbar (for example, my "Standard" toolbar actually anything but!)

I had this same problem. This solution worked for me. Make sure you go into the library from your user account folder! That is the only way to find these files.

Procedure
1) Quit all Office applications.
2) Navigate to your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder and drag the file(s) listed below to your desktop.
3) Be sure to start from your UserName folder— ~ is shorthand for your user account.
4)Relaunch Word. The file(s) will be recreated when you do so.

If all is well, trash the old file(s). In the case of the Word Preferences/Settings file, you will have to reset some preferences (and, for versions earlier than Word 2008, the AutoCorrect settings).
If this doesn't help, quit Word again, trash the new files and drag the original files back to where they belong. If using Word 2008, look for leftover preferences from earlier versions (see below).

Note: ~ indicates your user home account.
In Word 2008:
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist
~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Office Font Cache (12) [See Font Problems: A Special Case below.]

yeah oakmontor is right.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.