Hi, am pretty new to Mac, hope you don't mind a newbie question. :)

My Mac shows that my digital MP3 recorder is out of space, even after I have deleted any big files. The digital recorder does have a Trash folder, but it is invisible on Mac. On Windows, that Trash folder of digi recorder is visible and I can delete large files from it, leaving more space to record new stuff. Is there a way to view any hidden files on Mac Mini?

Thanks for your help! :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Yes...

But before we get into that, after you trashed the files on the MP3 player, did you EMPTY the trash? I suspect not. If you do that, I think you'll regain your missing space.

Otherwise, there are a variety of ways to see hidden files and folders. The easiest of which might be to stick with a GUIfied util that will turn it on and off for you. Go download Cocktail and use it to display hidden files.

Thank you for the help, Yellow!

Are you still using your MAc mini?

I think you must try this
Open terminal = spotlight search terminal

paste in these lines

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To hide hidden files just change TRUE = FALSE

Otherwise you can buy show hidden files mac.

If you go to the command line window (terminal), you should be able to find the hidden files/directories with the command "ls -a". To search recursively, add the "R" (recursive) option, as in "ls -aR". That one will generate a LOT of output if done from the root directory (/), in which case you would want to do this: ls -aR / | less
If the "less" command doesn't exist on your system, then try "more" instead.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.