I suspect this may have been caused by return of a large, undeliverable file. The message I get from my Mac (iBook running 10.3.9) and Mail (1.3.11) is:

"~/Library/Mail/POP:drpamnd1@mail.revealed.net/INBOXmbox" is currently locked by "Pam Taylor" on host Pamela-Taylor-NDs-Computer.local"

I've been able to access my e-mail through my ISP and delete the undeliverable file, but still cannot open my In Box. Also, it will not allow me to "read only".

Any suggestions will be truly, truly appreciated. Truly.

drpam

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

Open a Finder window, navigate to your home folder, then click on the folder Library->Mail->POP:drpammd@mail.revealed.net->INBOX.mbox. Choose File-Get Info, and then make sure that the checkbox "Locked" is not checked.

Hope this helped

Hi joeprogrammer,

Thank you for the quick and clear reply.

I followed the yellow brick road, got into the Get Info for the INBOX. The checkbox "Locked" was dim, and unchecked. Am still unable to access the INBOX. Rats.

Also, it says the INBOX was modified Sept. 28th, which is when the problem occurred. Don't know if that's an additional clue.

Any additional enlightenment will be much appreciated. Apologies for the pesty INBOX.

drpam

Hello,

Open a Finder window, navigate to your home folder, then click on the folder Library->Mail->POP:drpammd@mail.revealed.net->INBOX.mbox. Choose File-Get Info, and then make sure that the checkbox "Locked" is not checked.

Hope this helped

Perhaps your the permissions are messed up. Try going to the following folder: [I]home[/I]/Library/Mail/ Choosing File->Get Info again, but this time click on the little arrow underneath "Permissions" to expand it, if the data isn't expanded already. Then, make sure that it says "You can Read and Write".

Click on the little arrow beside "Details" to expand it, and click the button titled, "Apply to enclosed items...". You may be asked for administrator password.

Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Hi joeprogrammer,

Thank you for the quick and clear reply.

I followed the yellow brick road, got into the Get Info for the INBOX. The checkbox "Locked" was dim, and unchecked. Am still unable to access the INBOX. Rats.

Also, it says the INBOX was modified Sept. 28th, which is when the problem occurred. Don't know if that's an additional clue.

Any additional enlightenment will be much appreciated. Apologies for the pesty INBOX.

drpam

Hi joeprogrammer,

I tried the second option, still no go. It says I can read and write. I may have had OS 9 running when it happened - I don't know if that would make a difference to open 9 and try your recommendations.

It seems like the solution should be simple. Wish I were more of a geek!!!

I appreciate the help, and though the mail remains stubbornly locked, I'm learning more about my Mac. :-)

drpamnd

Try doing almost exactly what I said before, except that you make sure that under permissions it says Owner: your username. Click "Apply to enclosed items...", and enter your administrator password if necessary. Then go back to Library->Mail->POP:drpammd@mail.revealed.net->INBOX.mbox and see if the "Locked" checkbox is still grayed out.

Failing that, I would try opening up Disk Utility, which is located in /Applications/Utilities, and running "Repair Permissions" on "Macintosh HD", or whatever your hard drive volume is. This might repair a number of volumes. After that, check your inbox again, and if it still refuses to work, double-check the "Locked" checkbox on Library->Mail->POP:drpammd@mail.revealed.net->INBOX.mbox again to see if it un-grayed it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.