Alrighty, last night I installed a small program on my Palm Zire 31 called Mirror+ which is a small application that allows me to use my palm as a flashlight (i.e. it greatly increases the palm's light output) by simply displaying black. Now, the eejit who programmed this actually managed to make a program as simple as this, to crash. What was left was a black splodge on my screen instead of the neatly laid out rows it was before, and there was nothing I could do about it. The reset button wouldn't work for some reason, I couldnt turn it off so I only had one choice: Leave it on so it could drain its power. So in the morning I stuck the charger in, and after five minutes after charging the little setup thing came up asking about the time and digitizer etc. However, I noticed lines coming down my screen. Its hard to describe, but basicly spread across the screen are lines that sort of make the underneath graphics seem much lighter and it just makes the screen look very very ugly. However, I cannot see any damage or burns when the palm is off.

I can live with this, but I only just got it for christmas, which isnt a good start. So how do I deal with this? Just leave it off for a day? Keep using it? Any help would be nice =) thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Your palm should have a button located at the back which allows you to turn it completely off, thus disconnecting it completely from the battery, and resetting it. Its possible that the data is still on your handheld and causing this. I doubt the program damaged anything, as the lights and screen should be able to withstand a slight increase in power. Programs like this don't sound very "safe" so just look for that button which allows you to disconnect the memory from the battery turning the PDA completely off. If its still there, its either corrupted the memory, or has done slight damage to the screen.

All I have is the reset button which is probably what you are talking about. I tried resetting dozens of times, and it simply wouldnt work -.-

But whats important now is the screen does seem to be damaged. Do you know any way to help reverse the effects?

All I have is the reset button which is probably what you are talking about. I tried resetting dozens of times, and it simply wouldnt work -.-

But whats important now is the screen does seem to be damaged. Do you know any way to help reverse the effects?

As like any screen, they are not designed to have more power forced into them, the reset button is not what I am talking about, this just resets the pda, but doesn't cause any memory loss as such, which is what you want.

As pictured below on the example PDA there should be a button similar as such, turn that to the "off" position. If this doesn't help your PDA is probably damaged.

[IMG]http://homegrownforums.com/images/pda.jpg[/IMG]

However if that doesn't work, you can try holding a magnet up to the screen, maybe it can rearrange the LCD crystals? But be carefull to do it only for a very short period, and use this as a last resort.

Good luck man.

No I definitly dont have one of those :]

I tried the magnet but it gave no effects whatsoever. I have been advised to leave the screen on displaying a completely white picture which seems to help with LCD screens, so I'm leaving it for several hours on charge to see what happens :)

SUCCESS!

It works, my screen looks much better now. There are still faint signs of the lines but im sure that will go away :D

So, in short, if you need to get rid of internal damage to your LCD screen (i.e. not cracks in the screen etc) then just leave a white image showing overnight (or as long as the picture that burned it was showing) and you will see major reversal =D

the lesson is don't install software that fiddles with voltages atall!! impo that was a really bad thing to do......

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.