Hi guys, I just bought one of those no name MP3 players off ebay (i'd recommend just buying an Ipod after all the bs i've gone through with this thing)

Anyways, I stupidly formatted the thing because it had a bunch of Korean stuff on it...

Now it doesn't register as a removeable HD. The player seems to be working fine, I had one song on it and the one song plays, the voice recorder works, basically everything is fine with the player. As soon as I plug it into the computer though it shuts off and the computer can't find it...

From the 6 hours of reading various posts I think I have to install new firmware on the thing but I have no idea where to get the firmware or how to install it when the computer can't recognize the player.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!

Thanks for your time

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Did you get the MP3 to come up as a drive yet?

I use a generic memory card for my MP3 Player and I have a VB program that can turn it on and off through the USB port..

I use it to turn it off so I can safely remove the card from the generic card reader...

I dont get by here as often as I used to, but if you want to try it drop me a note here...I'll answer when I see it..

I will include the source code just so you dont think I am trying to do anything underhanded..

It is just one form to select drive letter and two buttons, one to turn it on and one for off.

"Im guessing its a USB stick mp3. In the menu there should be an option called 'update firmware'.
If you reserch the serial number on the mp3, you should find a downloadable firmware that is compatible with your Mp3 player."

Ok, I found the MP3 player on EBAY again... this is just a pic from ebay but it looks exactly like the player i bought. I can't find any company identifying markings (serial #, company name etc.) on the thing.
There is also no menu in the player with an option called update firmware.

I believe the company that made this mp3 player is a korean one, I found a website with this product on it (I lost the website address now unfortunately) I tried emailing them but they never responded.

I think that the device needs new firmware... but where do i get the firmware this specific device and how do I update it when the computer won't recognize the mp3 player as a removeable hard drive

Anyways, please, somebody help me... this is sooo frustrating!

See if you can find the drive in Disk Management. If the drive appears there, it may not be formatted or partitioned correctly to allow Windows to use it as a drive. If you format the drive again, be sure to select FAT and not FAT32 or NTFS.

I'm curious how if you formatted it and couldn't use it in Windows, how it has one song on it.

Thx for the attempt, but I could not find the player in Disk Management.

I got the one song on it like this:
When I orginally plugged in the mp3 player it was working fine and showed up as a removeable HD in My Computer. Unfortunately I formatted the player because there were some weird Korean files on it. Everything appeared to be fine with it after the format, ie. it still registered as a removeable HD. Then I copied one of my own songs on as a test, again everything was fine. Once I unplugged the player from the computer it has never registered again as a removeable HD, but that one song is still on it and everything about the player seems to work fine except that I can't connect it to the computer!

I've checked all the noob things like wires, connections, operating systems (i've reinstalled mine and tried on 2 other computers) but I can't figure this thing out... any other thoughts?

A full 14 day warrantee...

Return address in Hong Kong

Nothing on the website about tech support

These should have been clues...

I have had my NEX II MP3 Player for close to 5 years and I love it.
It was $99 including shipping and tax.

Hope you get it worked out...

well thanks for comment thong, but it doesn't really help my current situation out...

if anyone else has anything USEFUL to tell me, or if anyone has experienced the same problem... i'd love to hear from ya.

I am obviously an idiot for buying this thing off ebay but there isn't much i can do now other than to try and fix it.

thanks a bunch guys

Unfortunately, without any company to contact for specifics, it's near impossible to tell if the product is damaged or if you did something to the drive when you formatted it.

A few last ditch ideas I have are (in order of futility ;)): using the Add Hardware Wizard to try finding it, checking the pins on the drive to make sure that they were not damaged, and trying a different USB port and a different machine to see if that makes a difference.

Hi guys, I just bought one of those no name MP3 players off ebay (i'd recommend just buying an Ipod after all the bs i've gone through with this thing)

Anyways, I stupidly formatted the thing because it had a bunch of Korean stuff on it...

Now it doesn't register as a removeable HD. The player seems to be working fine, I had one song on it and the one song plays, the voice recorder works, basically everything is fine with the player. As soon as I plug it into the computer though it shuts off and the computer can't find it...

:twisted: It may just be playing with you. :eek: Seriously, been there, done that, found your post by accident in a google search, & joined just to maybe be of some help.

I have a generic mp3 player (not a serial #, or brand name anywhere! It was given to me by someone who most likely received it as a bonus for buying something else), pressed into service when the primary one decided to go swimming. I also quickformatted it because a codec i had mistakenly added denied me permission to remove it :mad:. The nerve! I quick formatted it into nonresponsiveness, the wrong FAT, time stamps were truncating all over the place.

I found out that if I didn't connect it (via USB cord) until I had windows explorer open to My computer, it wouldn't show up. When explorer was open, then the mp3 was connected, it would pop up as another drive.

This mattered little, as it wouldn't work, even though I formatted it back out of FAT32. All it would say when connected to the computer was "mp3...busy", then power off when it was disconnected. However, I found the Lyra firmware update, moved to the mp3 player (clicking on setup), worked just fine! :mrgreen: Although it worked fine with music and Lyra firmware side by side on the single partition drive, I stuck all things Lyra in a folder called system, made it hidden, so I don't accidently mess with it.

As to firmware updates; one of the places they are often available is at the manufacturers websites.

This was a couple of months ago, and it still works great! It even decided to try diving into a pond, but using the hairdryer, and putting it into a pill container packed with dessicants (those things which say "do not eat", and exist to keep pills for absorbing moisture and losing potentcy) for a couple of hours had it working same as ever.

Now if i can just find a place which will sell me 1 capacitor (instead of minimum order 250 :( ), I'll be able to fix the mp3 which decided to shoot the rapids :sad:. Good luck with yours-let us know if this works!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.