My laptop keyboard doesn't work at all unless I go into control panel and change any setting, such as cursor blink rate. Once I click apply, the keyboard will work again. Unfortunately it will stopp working again and I will have to go back in and do it again. If it gets too hot, changing settings doesn't work and I have to turn it off. I have removed the battery and replaced it, I have tried to update drivers, nothing fixes the problem.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If it is still under warranty, get it fixed. If not, then whether or not you fix it, or replace the system, depends upon what is wrong and what it will cost to fix. My suspicion is that the keyboard controller is fubar, and you are going to need a new motherboard for the system. That is effectively replacing the system except for disc drive, RAM, and display. If out of warranty, that will probably cost more than replacing the system entirely with a more modern unit.

Keyboards are really cheap now normally £15 upto £30 for the rarer versions, Often when keyboards play up its the keyboard itself, probably 1 in 500 it is the keyboard controller i have been working in laptop/pc repair shop for over 10 years now and honestly only seen this about twice, But it does happen, I would suggest buying a new keyboard as for the sake of approx £20-£30 could be end of problem and youre confidence in your laptop could be restored, We sell many laptop keyboards for compaq and hp at our website shop, feel free to have a look and price up [removed advertising]

Keyboards are really cheap now normally £15 upto £30 for the rarer versions, Often when keyboards play up its the keyboard itself, probably 1 in 500 it is the keyboard controller i have been working in laptop/pc repair shop for over 10 years now and honestly only seen this about twice, But it does happen, I would suggest buying a new keyboard as for the sake of approx £20-£30 could be end of problem and youre confidence in your laptop could be restored, We sell many laptop keyboards for compaq and hp at our website shop, feel free to have a look and price up [removed]

Unfortunately, this is for a laptop. Unless the poster want's to lug around another keyboard, this advice isn't so helpful... :-(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.