I am looking for a new laptop.My budget is around 700 $.I require the laptop for programming mainly.I would like to have i5 processor with 4gb + ram.
I would like to save as much money as possible without compromising on these requirements and quality .I don't care for looks .
I would like to know which company SONY /TOSHIBA/DELL will be better for me based on the criteria of configuration,quality ,longevity and price.
Please give detailed answers with justification.

Recommended Answers

All 56 Replies

See your other thread. And BTW, please don't post the same question multiple times! It won't get you any more/better answers!

Dell is still best laptop in market as I have used other laptops like HP and Acer but the way Dell works no one's can work.

I am looking for a new laptop.My budget is around 700 $.I require the laptop for programming mainly.I would like to have i5 processor with 4gb + ram.
I would like to save as much money as possible without compromising on these requirements and quality .I don't care for looks .
I would like to know which company SONY /TOSHIBA/DELL will be better for me based on the criteria of configuration,quality ,longevity and price.
Please give detailed answers with justification.

I would go for dell from experience but all depends on the user as well if you really know how to operate you machine.

My vote will go for toshiba because i have been using both of these laptops and i face many problems with dell like its battery is dead now,and sometime ago i have changed its motherboard which costs very much.

I have a Dell D630 (now about 4 years old) and I bought my wife a Toshiba netbook a couple of years ago. Both are good. I've had to get the Dell repaired (not so the Toshiba), but it gets more use than the Toshiba. I got the 3 year warranty (new systems are only 1 year, unless you pay a premium), and everything was fixed for free. The battery and/or charging system on this unit has a design flaw, so the battery has gone bye-bye twice since I bought it. I had to put their tech support people in a headlock to get it replaced the second time (less than a year after the first one failed), but so far the newest one is still fine. I don't think the battery problems are just Dell's - a lot of LiON batteries have these problems. In any case, if they last more than a couple of years, consider yourself lucky.

I've always gone with Dell at all my jobs for customer service I just say who I am and the problem with the part and they mail it out. I have seen recently the peripherals have issues on Toshiba and have noticed iPhones won't be recognized by Toshiba.

If you are looking for rough use... and you are not going to care about your laptop after buying go for DELL... but if you are a cool obedient and silent guy who looks after his laptop a lot.. you can go for toshiba...

performance wise i will recommend toshiba... cos i am a toshiba user...

Of course it depends on the model and what you want.

I used to like Toshiba more than Dell. Dell laptops use cheap materials at the moment. Don't know much about Toshiba at the moment.

Good luck!

Dell used to have a 3 year warranty on their business class laptops (Latitude). Now, they are only giving you a 1 year term. I think that the extra cost for a 3 year warranty is probably worth the price. My current D630 is now 4 years old, and still going strong, but then I had to get it fixed a couple of times under warranty! The 630 still has been more reliable than my previous D600, which had to get a new drive and a new motherboard at different points in its career. Fortunately, all those repairs were under warranty, but outside of the current 1 year period... :-)

I have used Dell for almost 5 years. I bought another one from Dell again, planning to buy third for my wife and I still feel Dell is the best.

I bought HP last year but was not much happy with it. I feel battery is a problem with almost every electronic device. The life of battery is dead in couple of years. Dell is no exception to this.

I've had a Dell XPS M1530 laptop for just over 3 years now and had to keep the AC adapter plugged in for just over two of those years, it started off as just loosing power quickly and not it won't turn on if i have the battery in as it tries to draw power from that but it's completely dead (and cost £109 to buy a new one from dell), and if you knock the power cable even a little bit the laptop dies straight away. It's happened with a lot of Dell laptops apparently but there's never been a re-call and I've read that replacing the motherboard and AC adapter may fix the problem but I've also read that in some cases that doesn't work.

I'm aware the creator of this thread may already have purchased a laptop but thought i would share this for anyone else looking into buying a new laptop. Also if anyone knows how to fix this problem please P.M. me.

Thanks

Lenovo!

Ive got a G series with an i3 and 4gb of ram its great.

Re. battery issues. This is a common problem with current lithium-ion batteries. The only last 1-2 years before they have to be replaced, which runs about $99 from the dealer. You can get better prices on OEM units for popular laptops from Buy.com and other online vendors, but they are still too expensive, IMO.

Way more than 99 dollars they are like £100 to £150 here.

commented: Agree, batteries are over £100 from Dell +5

Dell is better ./..............

i think dell is better as i am using it for last 3 years dell latitude E5400.....and i have no issue wd it

Am a toshiba user and mine have last for 5 years no proble. Toshiba need maintaince. Dell is for i dont care people.

I'm a Dell user and i 100% do care! top tip is if your battery, charger or HardDrive breakes . . . DON'T BY ONE FROM DELL !

For my XPS m1530

• New battery from Dell = £100+ (i got one from eBay for £18 and it works perfectly);

• New hard drive from Dell = alot on money (i took the one out of my partner's Acer because it just needs to be the same type e.g. Sata state);

• New charger from Dell = alot of money (i just borrow my brother's for his Hp pavilion and it works fine);

Moral of the story - if your laptop is out of warrenty by after-market parts Dell unnecessarily expencive.

All laptops/netbooks break at some time or other. What distinguishes one manufacturer from another is how they deal with warranty work. Dell is hands down the best for that, in my experience. With my grandson's acer netbook, when it was overheating, we sent it in for repair - they sent it back saying it was OK (NOT!). When I had a similar problem with my Dell D630, they sent me a replacement system (sans disc drive) via overnight shipping. I swapped the disc drive from the old system, verified it was working ok, and then shipped back the old system with the shipping box and pre-paid shipping label they provided. No muss, no fuss.

I use Dell Inspiron 15R...I love it..I vote Up for Dell as it's little cheaper with same specs compared to toshiba.

In my Opinion Toshiba is more durable than other laptops. Toshiba has great battery life.

dell is much better. and it is also good.

dell, i guess is having this bad battery life issue. other than this issue, both are good.

Dell is the best of the choices you have mentioned.You can even go for Hp pavilion series.I am currently using Hp and i love it

Toshiba is no where even near Dell.

Most of the complaints about Toshiba service are about the Toshiba repair depot. Toshiba also has a network of authorized warranty repair stations that are listed on their website and rated by customers. Apparently the private shops give better service, since they have to compete. Happily, I have no experience with either in my 3+ years using Toshiba. Toshiba also has pretty good online tech support that's been upgraded in the past few years. You can get service and update bulletins through email.

That Tosh looks like a monster for the money.

Obviously, Dell is best. because it has good features, with colorful and stylist look and very popular where as Toshiba is not soo much well compare to Dell Laptops. Mainly Toshiba company making good Television not for Laptop.

Toshiba and Dell are both good .They both have thier own pros and cons. Dell has a lot of issues with screens. For example, the Inspiron series of laptops had serios issues with the screen getting screwed due to overheating of the connecting wires which needed replecement. But the service of Dell is the best and you can get it easily replaced with your warranty.

Toshiba laptops on the other hand are more better in quality and also good for rough user. I have used both Dell and toshiba before and found Toshiba to be more reliable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.