So I know you can pay your provider to get the unlock code, or pay third parties too.

How do the third parties get the code from the IMEI? If I have lots of phones could I unlock them al in one pop?

Like if third parties can do it, then it must not be impossible.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

All phones are unlockable. Although Is illigal to do it while in contract.
One aproach is to tell ur carrier u r going overseas and would like to use the phone somewhere far. They should do it at no charge ( while in contract)
Without contract you can do what eve you want with the os of any phone. Research how to root ur own device.

Illegal? Really? It may be in breach of your contract with the network carrier/supplier, but hardly illegal...

All the big providers (ATT, Verizon) have a page to unlock a phone. OR call them and speak to a rep. If the phone is not under contract, they will usually give you the code.

"So yes, unlocking your phone without your carrier’s explicit approval is technically verboten. But let’s not forget what this particular change doesn’t mean — the police most likely aren’t going to knock down your door because you felt the compulsion to free your phone from your carrier’s shackles. It also doesn’t mean that the stash of old phones nestled in your drawer can’t be unlocked — so-called “legacy” devices are exempt from silly change, so feel free to take your old phones and show them a little bit of freedom. You can still buy unlocked phones from eBay and Amazon like you always could, and hey, some phones sold by carriers are unlocked right out of the box anyway."

source: http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/26/unlocking-your-phone-is-now-illegal-but-what-does-that-mean-for-you/

Hope that helps!
... I most add: Other countries, sell only unlocked phones!
al

Here in the UK you can buy network locked phones (cheaper initially, buit tied to a contract which makes them more expensive over the full term) or unlocked SIM free ones (which are more expensive to buy initially but work out cheaper over the same term).

As for the US-looney-law that is the DCMA, I can't see that being used in the real world when it comes to phone contracts and I doubt that any individual unlocking their handset is going to find themselves in court.

Hardly illegal, but, at least in th UK, it might void your warranty. I personally unlock them myself (unless it's an iphone of course, in which case I have no idea how to do it). Try to unlock it yourself, you'll see it's not too hard after all...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.