i have a data cable for my motorola T720 cell phone i need to know if there is any software that i can used to put ringtone on my phone . :) :) :) :)

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I have a T720 and no you can't download ringtones to it.

Depending on your service provider you have to use one of the ringtone services on the web or on your actualy phone under the Get It Now option.

The data cable is for if you use some of the PIM software, you can download contacts and what not onto your phone.

Member Avatar for

actually you can upload ringtones. it requires the data cable, a PST software program that makes a backup of all the info on your phone, and this EMS program that some guy made up that will let you edit your backup file. then you can send the backup file back with your ringtones and own pictures... it will cost you like 5 bucks for the data cable on e bay and many many hours of your life for the rest.

Member Avatar for

Use the PST tools. You will need version 6.0 if you have Windows XP. Do a search on the net for the PST tools. You will also need a program that will allow you to make an mservices backup file. This program will allow you to put wallpapers and mid ringtones to your phone. Yahoo groups has a T720 group and you can download some files there.

Ken

Member Avatar for

Actually, this is not true, you can download ANY midi file and use it as a ring tone. I tried it by uploading a midi to my website, then going there with my browser. It downloaded and asked if it could be used as an ring tone.

Member Avatar for

i wana put picz on motorola T720...i have data cable for that but i dont know how to put data on phone....plz help me wid dis

Member Avatar for

actually you can upload ringtones. it requires the data cable, a PST software program that makes a backup of all the info on your phone, and this EMS program that some guy made up that will let you edit your backup file. then you can send the backup file back with your ringtones and own pictures... it will cost you like 5 bucks for the data cable on e bay and many many hours of your life for the rest.

You know, the music industry makes plenty of money from ringtones and not as much for albums these days. Go figure :rolleyes: :p

Hrmm. I was recently looking into this same phone except with software under linux. I have heard of gnokii, but it doesn't appear to be compatiable with my phone. Has anyone seen any software for this, or similar model phones that can be run under linux?

Bah, forget it, I wrote my own scripts using minicom to retreive my phonebook, and then a shell script to reformat the output of it. :)

commented: Good job +6
Member Avatar for

"You will also need a program that will allow you to make an mservices backup file."

Where would one get this program that allows you to make an mservices backup file? I need it!

Thanks,

Andrew

Member Avatar for

Bah, forget it, I wrote my own scripts using minicom to retreive my phonebook, and then a shell script to reformat the output of it. :)

Would you mind sharing the contents of these scripts?

Thanks,
Tony (tonyhill at iastate dot edu)

Ok, here is my disclaimer:

by downloading the attached file you are acknowledging that anything you use the scripts for is your own problem. I, Brandon Pierce will not be held responsible for any damages to any personal property including, but not limited to any software, the cell phone, or the computer involved. Blah blah, enjoy the files.

I provide no documentation cuz I did this stuff at 2 am and am not famous for my 1337 documenting skills anyways! :) If you have any questions please email me at brandonp@trit.org. Let's not hijack this thread! Please feel free to modify the scripts in any way, but if you publish them somewhere, I would appreciate a little bit of credit! The scripts are weak sauce, and I wouldn't recommend anyone use them. :) I included some PDF files that I found online of some programming manuals. The script phonebook_convert enclosed in the tar file is a simple sed used to convert the output of the phonebook from the t720 phonebook to the format used in my new ericson t616. From what I understand this is some kind of "GSM standard." Hell if I know. :) I don't know working with sed all that well, but I can get stuff done quick and dirty. Don't complain to me if this stuff isn't 150% efficient or whatever. If you know of a better way to do this, then have at it. This worked for me. I tested this with my motorola t720 from t-mobile using some serial data cable I bought online. The operating system that I used was Slackware linux 9.1. The scripts should work fine on any machine that can run sed + minicom. Should work fine over USB as well. The phone isn't cool enough for bluetooth or IR so don't ask. :) I can try my best to answer any questions if you need help, but I promise nothing.

Enjoy.

rename the attachment from .tar.gz.txt to .tar.gz

i just got a usb cable for my motorola t720 and i have no clue how to put ringtones on it can someone help me

Member Avatar for

This is for most Motorola phones. Great hack to get around Verizon forcing you to use "Get it Now" and pay them for crappy ring tones. You must have the data cable (which Verizon will gladly supply you for $40 along with some phonebook and cell phone modem software or you can get it at RadioShack for $10 w/o any software). http://www.geocities.com/polyringgirl/polyrings.html
Read the directions and print them out. They are good. Click the link to get the software. They will send you to a site in Italian called MotoClub. You can pretty much navigate the site if you have a rudementary understanding of other languages. http://www.motclub.com/html/programs.htm#mpt

Good Luck!

i have a data cable for my motorola T720 cell phone i need to know if there is any software that i can used to put ringtone on my phone . :) :) :) :)

Member Avatar for

I use victorgsm software from http://www.freegsmteam.biz/index.php?pg=55
There is a file system module, to upload walpapers thei must be 160x120 and be gif (important: case sesetive example Picture.gif), if anyone finds out about rigtones send me please at adomas@fedingas.lt

Please and Thanks...

Member Avatar for

actually you can send ringtones to your phone, you just have to get software and have the correct drivers. the Get It now feature is not included on phones themselves, but by the provider (IE, verizon etc.) cingular does not have such a service. your provider has locked you out from sending data, not the manufacturer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.