I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 that starts up, shows the Dell bios page, then it goes to a black screen with the cursor in the top left corner and makes a constant beeping sound. I can access the bios of the computer by pushing the Fn and F1 keys at the same time. Other than that the computer does nothing. It stops beeping when I push any of the F keys, but will do nothing else. I have checked and can see no key stuck down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Welcome to Daniweb :)

Have you made sure your ram card is firmly in place??

Open your tower and make sure things are tightly in thier places :)

One time i was cleaning inside mine and i failed to put the ram stick in all the way and all i had was beeping....

Good luck :)

does it beep in the bios? its possible you have a stuck key. otherwise, you may wish to pull the CMOS battery, and leave it out for approx. 5-10 mins. try and boot the machine with the battery out, just for fun. place it back in, and boot again. ram can cause beeps, but the machine usually wont post if thats the issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.