The power supply reads proper voltage (voltmeter), however no lights come on for this 750gb Maxtor HD One Touch IV.

I know that I can get a warranty one, however I had literally finished, one day before, organizing every single music, video, footage, file, and harddrive backup into something clear and coherent.

And one of my older drives has now been reformatted, so that's the ONLY copy of at least one harddrive.

So if I void the warranty and open it up, I simply want to know the following items:

1) Will this be one harddrive with an IDE cable?
2) Will I need something special on my computer for "Large Harddrive Support" -
3) Will any run-of-the-mill harddrive enclosure work? Or should I only plug it into a pc?

I figure the power cord got tripped over and the thing was pulled out the wall/plugged back in and fried the circuit board. How easy would a fuse have been, eh? And I think I'm ready to open it up and plug it into a computer and get my data back.

Anyone know?

;-b

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,

I would contact your supplier and explain problem, ask their advice before doing anything. At the moment you don't know whether the hard disk has failed or the controller board.

Worst case is buy same and then open both and swop disks and see what happens.

Other option, has data all come from computer hard disk ? If so then data recovery company can probably recover your data. If you are in UK then pm me and I'll let you have name of company I have used.

Denis
Good luck
Denis

As many have found, maxtor/seagate's help is no help at all. They will charge $1000 for the data recovery, or replace it. No other options.

If I purchase the same and swap them, I still can't return the second one. voided warranty if screw/sticker removed.

So again, all I want to know is: is there an IDE connectable hard drive inside?

of course there's a simple hdd inside. but warranty is a valuable thing.

As many have found, maxtor/seagate's help is no help at all. They will charge $1000 for the data recovery, or replace it. No other options.

Wrong. Their warranty support is second to none. The recovery service is that costly, they don't overcharge.
The price is market value, probably less than what you'd pay someone else.
And the data is clearly not covered under warranty as there can be no guarantee to recover anything (it all depends on what's damaged and to what extent).

I've had several Maxtor/Seagate/Diamond disks fail over the years, all were promptly replaced under warranty (even the ones where the failure was caused by factors for which the disk was not to blame, like a powerspike in the harddisk controller).

So again, all I want to know is: is there an IDE connectable hard drive inside?

Impossible to tell. It could be ATA, SATA, SCSI, or something else entirely.
But most likely it will be SATA given the size of the disk, and a standard SATA harddisk inside.

Wrong. Their warranty support is second to none. The recovery service is that costly, they don't overcharge.
The price is market value, probably less than what you'd pay someone else.
And the data is clearly not covered under warranty as there can be no guarantee to recover anything (it all depends on what's damaged and to what extent).

I've had several Maxtor/Seagate/Diamond disks fail over the years, all were promptly replaced under warranty (even the ones where the failure was caused by factors for which the disk was not to blame, like a powerspike in the harddisk controller).

Impossible to tell. It could be ATA, SATA, SCSI, or something else entirely.
But most likely it will be SATA given the size of the disk, and a standard SATA harddisk inside.

And the answer IS... It's a SATA internal harddrive! I know that there is always the possibility that all the data is gone. HOWEVER. I suspect that the harddrive is fine, and that like many other users online, I found that the Seagate/Maxtor controller/power supply short/fries out, (who, that's a lot of slashes) and then the harddrive waits inside for someone to hook up power again. If it doesn't boot up again, then I'm a fool and should have let go of the data.

So I'm buying a SATA enclosure, and I will tell you if it works.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.