I received a computer from a friend who just bought a laptop. Its an HP, It worked great for about 2 weeks, and now when i turn it on It was just beeping. I removed one stick of ram and now it doesnt beep anymore but I get no video at all. It doesnt beep like its starting up or anything. Ive tried new video cards, new hard drives, new monitor. Ive even tried a bare bones start up to try and access the bios. STILL NOTHING. Can anyone please help????????????????

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I received a computer from a friend who just bought a laptop. Its an HP, It worked great for about 2 weeks, and now when i turn it on It was just beeping. I removed one stick of ram and now it doesnt beep anymore but I get no video at all. It doesnt beep like its starting up or anything. Ive tried new video cards, new hard drives, new monitor. Ive even tried a bare bones start up to try and access the bios. STILL NOTHING. Can anyone please help????????????????

did you put ram back in and remove the other stick ,also does it get power to the board ,maybe a little red/green light on the motherboard ,or fans turning is a good indicator of power to the board ..you use the work new,are they new or just new to this computer .

You sound like a Canadian Tire Mechanic ,just swap parts till one makes it work !LOL just kidding

There are no lights on the board. However the fans are turning on. All the parts that i put in the machine were used but i also have a working machine that they were tested in and worked fine. Could the ddr ram being bad posssibly not let the video work? It has on board video that doesnt work. It also has an AGP slot that i cant get any video out of. Ive also tried using a PCI video card with no success. Im at a loss. Im out of ideas. Ususally by switching parts in and out you can find the problem. lol

video is def. not your issue at this point. you say you tested the ram in another machine, but how did you test it? getting the machine to boot with it, isnt really testing it. at this point i'd say you are having a ram or mobo issue. oh, fergot to mention, test your monitor :P

The beeping is a Pre Operating System Test (POST) code, if the beeps are 6 in total then that is generally indicative of a failed video device, if you are getting multiple fast beeps then usually this is your RAM.

If its 6 beeps then check the card is correctly seated - pushed in!

If multiple beeps then try using 1 stick of RAM at a time.

IF you get the machine working then enter the BIOS and return the settings to defaults and reboot - IF the machine will not boot to BIOS then you will need to look for the reset jumper on the motherboard

If neither of these work then repost and I will have another think!

chin up!:)

when i had both sticks of memory in it would just beep for a long period of time as soon as i turn it on. After removing one of the sticks it doesnt beep at all. Im assuming that the removed memory stick is bad. as far as the monitor it works just fine on all my other comps.

That is a very un-scientific way of checking thye RAM as it does not take into consideration the quality of the socket it is inserted into or if your insertion was done properly. However if you have then checked the suspect stick in another machine and the same faults are there, then I would be inclined to accept the failure of the memory.

If the video doesn't work then you may have too much RAM assigned to the on-board Video, this should be correctable by resetting the BIOS by disconnecting the machine from the mains supply, removing the internal battery and using the BIOS/CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard.

Good Luck

Ive looked for the cmos reset jumper on the board but i cant seem to find it. Is it possible that this mother board doesnt have one?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.