i bought a post test card on ebay...typical impulse buy thing....but i do have a dead computer to test it on...i was curious if anyone has actually used 1...i found nothing on google...i was really most curious...can they damage my computer? GREAT site guys....thanks for the input! BTW it was only 9 bucks...:-/

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If it won't boot it won't post either. All manuf.s don't use the same post codes or boot sequence. Your new toy requires an instruction manual usually available from the manuf.s site.

hey thanks! i just got the thing...its very similar to the one you posted....just different enough to avoid patent infringement i imagine. i have not tried it yet ...ill read the post more ...i did get a book with mine that lists all the different post codes from the different manufacturers, but its good to have another reference :) yeah im pretty sure when i test the computer...i wont get any post code...but i was hoping it may give me some kind of data...just for fun really...ill post back in a couple days tolet folks know how i made out.

You will need to know the BIOS manufacturer and the specific version to find the proper post codes. Once you have that you can read the hexadecimal code on the card and match it to the specific code definitions.

There is probably a jumper setting giving you a choice between 80 and 84. This refers to the port that the card will read from. Industry standard is Port 80. Unfortunately not all manufacturers want to play ball. Compaq is one of the better known offenders who use Port 84.
If your PC is at all active you will observe output regardless of the jumper setting. In order to compare POST codes to any BIOS manufacturers list the jumper will need to be in the right place.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.