Somewhere along the line, my E: drive where I keep all my game/non-system stuff got replicated to F: Now when I boot, chkdsk comes up and says all these sectors are unreadable for both E&F drives. F: should not exist how do I rescue my system? I would at least like to get the replicant drive to go away - I just bought Spin-Rite but am not sure I should run it until I can reduce the drive count.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,

Even though chkdsk says it is unreadable can you read it from windows explorer ?

Have you also tried putting disk in external caddy and reading from another PC ?

Denis

Hi,

Even though chkdsk says it is unreadable can you read it from windows explorer ?

Have you also tried putting disk in external caddy and reading from another PC ?

Denis

err, I should have been more specific, I guess - I click past the chkdsk at startup now (so I don't see the errors <grin>) and everything seems okay but I worry about the replicant drive. To be honest, much as I worry about the drive crashing/trashing my data, I can't stop myself from playing Crysis which is on that drive. As I said, I just purchased SpinRite, and plan on running it soonest but I worry about running it before I get rid of the replicant. I don't even understand how/why Windoze sees it as 2 drives.
<<couple of days pass here>>
So, to sum up, the drive is working okay as long as I don't re-boot, I am gamer who would rather game than try to figure out what is killing his drive, and i am going to fire up Crysis again real soon (I am working 12 hour days again and I need to kill things at home so I don't at work).

A suggestion - backup everything to external disk before doing any changes so you don't loose anything.

Denis

i used Spinrite many times in years gone by, but last time was 2005 ,one thing i will say its a good program but on large drives it will take days to run full through and may not do what you are looking to do .its a data recovery tool ,will recover data and write 0's to bad sector's so windows doesn't use that sector any more ,

Well for that i use spinrite and every time it gives +ve results

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.