Hi everyone.
I'm probably going to buy the QX9650 when it comes out in a few days, if it turns out to be around $1000 and no more.
I can't decide what MB to put it in though...
I am running some Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz. So I was thinking the MSI P35 Platinum?
I won't be likely to run SLI so I don't need 680i, and I won't be running DDR3 for a long time yet so don't want to go X38.
I'm also planning on OCing the processor to probably around 4Ghz, with the FSB up to maybe 1500 or 1600Mhz. So I need something that can happily handle that FSB without custom cooling (Antec 900 with all possible fans, and a Thermalright Ultra-120e on the proc, though), and that can assist me favorably with the processor OC.
Suggestions?
:( ;)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

what are you going to be doing with the computer that you need the greatest cpu, but you won't need the greatest ram or gpu? by the way, all of the boards that support 1600mhz fsb are x38 or x48. however, x38/x48 doesn't dictate the ram type, take the asus p5e for example. x38 chipset and ddr2 1200 ram support.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131219

i'm looking at the qx9650 too, but i'll be using a 780i board for sli and the best graphics possible.

i'd like a Zonda F too....

why is overclocking funny?

overclockers not overclocking !!

There is a difference b\t liking and feasibility ... u can like anything but not own ....!!
This reasonless pursuit of all the OC'ers is vvvv funny ... they do it for nothing !!!

There is a difference b\t liking and feasibility ... u can like anything but not own ....!!
This reasonless pursuit of all the OC'ers is vvvv funny ... they do it for nothing !!!

so, what you're saying is that i could never make a corvette as fast as the zonda? and that the same applies to computer chips?

such a limited imagination.....

sorry caperjack, misread that

sorry caperjack, misread that

thas ok ,I'm just joking anyway ,i guess i really don't see the need to make a quad core any faster that it is out of the box ,giving the danger of blowing thew 1000$ chip trying .

i agree, i'd rather blow up a $300 chip trying to make it as fast as the $1000 one. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.