Recently bought the AMD 6400+ x2 cpu on the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard. Was blazing while it lasted. After a week and a half started having random lock ups which eventually lead into lock ups during bios load. Finally wouldn't boot at all. Machine was still fully powered up lights fans hard drives video card etc. Tested the Video card on another machine was fine.
Returned both to New Egg and recieved a replacement chip and tried the MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard. This board reacted very strange. Once again didn't boot at all no picture to the monitor. After a few trys did boot with an error message. "1 AMD North Bridge, Rev F3" then in red "Warning!!! The previous performance of overclocking is failed, and the system is Restored to the default setting Press any key except "Del" to enter setup. The keyboard wouldn't respond. Powered down and it wouldn't power up once again. Talked to MSI Tech support. He had me reset the jumpers. The machine did boot up all the way to windows. Even picked up my dual boot. Keyboard and Mouse were non responsive. Boxed it up and sent it back to New Egg. Which so far they've been very understanding and good about the returns.
I have read of some issues with 125 watt cpu's in the new quad core motherboards. I did check with ATI before puchasing the board and they assured me it had been tested for the 6400+ which is actually a "6000+ manufacture overclocked to 3.2ghz". I sent my power supply and memory back to New Egg as well as i'm actually at a loss for once. I'm considering just switching to Intel's 3.0ghz Core duo because its only a 65 watt chip.
Anybody have any clue as to what exactly was wrong, and why would I get an overclocking warning on a brand new motherboard. I don't know how to OC and wouldn't even if I could. The MSI tech offended me with his comments on the subject won't be buying from them again.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Just to add I did try the Video Card in my back up computer ran just fine. First time in 6 years i've ever had to deal with dead or injured hardware. I am a CSS student at a private technical school nobody there really had an answer either except to say trade in for an Intel.

in this part of you post you mention overclocking from the manufacture ,then ask how could i get over clocking message on a new board ,maybe you board is also pre -overclocked ,i don't like amd never have ,i would switch to Intel if i were you .just my opinion !!also i have read of many problems with the newer x2 chips and boards .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.