I was trying to fix a computer for somebody and he said his hard drive was corrupt, which may be the case, but I'm not sure if I have to reinstall windows. The error message I get when windows is about to start is "Unmountable boot device" and I get a blue screen. So I put the hard drive in my computer and setup checked the drive and fixed some things and then I was able to to view data on it, so the drive appears to be working, but it won't boot for some reason. Does that mean I have to reinstall XP?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What data is on the BSOD? This can determine the actual cause of the boot problem. The code that is required is this part: 0x000.....
This line of code is the most important to diagnosing the problem with the computer.

if no important data you have then better reinstall windows

Thanks, I just reinstalled windows XP and now it boots fine however I can't access the internet with it for some reason.

hmm..newly installed windows cannot access internet, have you load all the necessary drivers?

hmm..newly installed windows cannot access internet, have you load all the necessary drivers?

I use cable internet though and I thought windows XP loaded drivers for the NIC card. So it should be able to connect?

check your device manager, right click my computer -> click properties -> click hardware -> click Device Manager, check if all drivers are loaded properly.. or try going to command line then type this command ping 127.0.0.1 check if you will got a reply blah blah blah.. if the reply is request timed out then replace NIC...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.