When I start the computer it starts and sometimes (Not always) get shut off automatically and when I again open the computer the message comes as "CPU was previously shut down due to over heating, Resolve the unit". I checked the CPU, SMPS fan , it is working fine. Some times this problem come once in a month, some time twice, thrice in a day.
Please tell me remedy to solve the problem.
Rakesh

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

A buildup of dust/lint will cause this prob., the fins and/or the fan could be effected. Might look elsewhere on the system board for the same sort of buildup, including inside the PSU. Running in a hot environment with very little airflow won't help either. PSU fans need a minimum distance of 6 inches from the wall for basic ventilation.

hi, check your cpu fan, if possible change a new one and put some thermal compound on your cpu heatsink... your fan maybe turning but doesn't work up to specs..

Hi,
I am also having the same prob. machine just shuf off any time. I have shld it to an hardware engg.. and he says all the hardware are fine.
I dont get any message when i restart the PC, it opens fine as if nothing has happened.

Did your prob got resolved ?

Nimish

When I start the computer it starts and sometimes (Not always) get shut off automatically and when I again open the computer the message comes as "CPU was previously shut down due to over heating, Resolve the unit". I checked the CPU, SMPS fan , it is working fine. Some times this problem come once in a month, some time twice, thrice in a day.
Please tell me remedy to solve the problem.
Rakesh

jus give your system a good thorough clean, you know blow out te dust and see if you can change the thermal paste on the heatsink. That could solve your problem.

Raj

I have cleaned the system, but dont know how to change the thermal paste on it, never done this before, but is this the prob of overheating ??

jus give your system a good thorough clean, you know blow out te dust and see if you can change the thermal paste on the heatsink. That could solve your problem.

Raj

Yeah it could be because of cleaning, how old is your system, normally about 2+ yrs old systems do tend to require thermal paste changing, but not always though.

See if any of your mates know how to and get em to do it for ya. Not that hard to do it yourself even if you wanna try it. Just google it and you ll find a few guides which ll show you how to do it.

Raj

yes, its around 3yrs old. will check if I can do it myself, hope its not costly !

I have cleaned the system, but dont know how to change the thermal paste on it, never done this before, but is this the prob of overheating ??

Hello nimishtandon, I would recommend this page to apply your thermal compound. It outlines very specific instructions on how to apply the proper amount and where based on several variables, such as amd/intel, single core/dual core/quad core. The instructions are for any brand thermal grease, but I would suggest purchasing their product as it is known for its superior cooling and quality, although it is a several dollars more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion at only $5.99 with free shipping. You can purchase it on newegg.

Another thought comes to mind for ras119, if you have been playing around with the processor, i.e. removing it, then your overheating issues may be due to the fact you are applying too much thermal grease. To give you an idea, the most that should be on any processor is about the size of 1.5 grains of rice. For more detailed instructions on your particular cpu, visit the site above.

as fainsleep posted it should not be very expensive to do it yourself. And it is relatively esy to do as well as long as you know what you are doing when you open up the case.

Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.