Hey everyone
il make this as short as i can :- i have a kmex 500watt PSU and i got it for my second lan party rig and after i putt all the parts together and assembled it in the case which is a mATX it looked very untidy thats coz the case is small and the psu wire are very long so i decided to do something that i deeply regret right now [ i cut the following wire :-
1) 6pin GFx wire
2)floppy wire
3)all 6 of the 4 pin wire cable
i did this coz im the type of guy who always opens my case on a daily bases just to have a look and make shure everythin is fine , now dont worry i cut them and put duck tap over each and every1 of them so that there wouldnt be a electro shock thingee (cant find the word in mind at the momement) and this is all on the inside if the PSU and i zip zaped them all and the only wires remaing are the 4 pin mobo and the 24 pin mobo pwr, and the 2 sata pwr cables and i put these 3 wires very nicly and it looks perfect and the pc is alright , but im just worried that something might happen , Do u think i should remove the PSU board inside and remove the wires 1 by 1 via melting the soldering points ? thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

They should be fine as they are provided tape job is adequate to prevent shorting. I've done essentially the same thing to remove excess wires when assembling systems in windowed cases. I use 1/8" heat shrink tubing to cover ends of wires.

i see , but wouldnt it be better if i romove each wire individually from the base of the board ?
thanks

You are much better with a soldering iron than I am if you can do that successfully. It's your PC, do what you wish.

Well As long as you don't poke your fingers into your case while the PSU is on, it will be fine. Have you cut the wires but left the attachments still connected to the mobo? Is that what you mean?

i see , but wouldnt it be better if i romove each wire individually from the base of the board ?
thanks

what do you mean by this

If the wire are twisted tight and insulated properly from each other then you should not have a problem. I say tight be cause you don't want these wires loose and cause a short,,,Best case solder and use shrink sleeves to protect wires Will be more secure and neater.

Well As long as you don't poke your fingers into your case while the PSU is on, it will be fine. Have you cut the wires but left the attachments still connected to the mobo? Is that what you mean?

dont worry im not a noob to coz static , well i mean like the PSU has a 4 pin mobo cable ,24pin mb PWR cable ,sata pwr cable ,6pin GFx cable, floppy cable and the normal 4 pin power cables for IDE hdd's , fans and optical drives - coz i use nothing that require those 4 pin power cables , 6pin GFx and the floopy ' i cut those wires and threw them away 'now all thats left is the wires poking out of the PSU borad, NOT from the outside just on the inside 'so i just coverd them with duck tape so that they would not touch each other and coz a burnout. and although i regret it now coz those wires come in handy , but the pc looks very clean and tidy and i like that :)

what do you mean by this

If the wire are twisted tight and insulated properly from each other then you should not have a problem. I say tight be cause you don't want these wires loose and cause a short,,,Best case solder and use shrink sleeves to protect wires Will be more secure and neater.

ya im just gona go with tightning them and then insulating it , coz im not in the mood right now to remove the whole board ,remove by soldering the wire points and then put it back in the PSU case , thanks i think that should do the trick.

i did this coz im the type of guy who always opens my case on a daily bases just to have a look and make shure everything is fine ,

WoW ,you have way to much time on you hands .!!

Oh ,and remember the psu holds some power after its unplugged ,make sure you drain it before you open it .

WoW ,you have way to much time on you hands .!!

No not really ,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.