I have just bought a new laptop and I was woundering what the easiest (and preferably cheapest) way to transfer files to it from my PC is.

Thanks,
Wil

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I have just bought a new laptop and I was woundering what the easiest (and preferably cheapest) way to transfer files to it from my PC is.

Thanks,
Wil

Hi Will

The best way to do it is with the Cross -cable only the IP of the Machines need to be mapped u could get that info from some network admin guy

S@MEER

What operating systems are installed on the two systems?

A simple network using only a crossover network cable, as mentioned, is one method, if both systems have ethernet capability.

If the PC has a CD burner, then that is also a cheap and easy method. (If it hasn't then it SHOULD have!)

Both machines have Windows XP home edition. The PC does have a cd burner but i want to transfer pretty much everything over to the laptop which is about 40GB worth of stuff so it would take years. The PC does not have a network card although im sure i'd be able to pick one up somewhere.

Wil

CD writers are to slow. get a cheep flash drive by lexmark (128 for $15, 256 for $36 at Fry's). It works as fast as a floppy and as reliable as a CD+RW

CD writers are to slow. get a cheep flash drive by lexmark (128 for $15, 256 for $36 at Fry's). It works as fast as a floppy and as reliable as a CD+RW

With 40GB of data to transfer, that still wouldn't be a very efficient method. I'd go with the networking, but the PC Relocater would probably work too.

USB drive, Laptop drive Adapter,Laptop drive, Norton ghost?? Get the picture? Easy to do.. Multi-ghost..X-fer all to one then one to all.. Easy w/XP..

Cheers guys

crossover cables work great...but so do wireless (overnight...hehe)

Or find someone with an external HD...those are the best paired with USB2.0 and you'll have your files over in no time.

external hardrive or for smalled files those memory card and the 6 in 1 card reader/writer

If the PC has a CD burner, then that is also a cheap and easy method. (If it hasn't then it SHOULD have!)

Or a DVD burner. More space to copy :)

Dang...why the old post revivals?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.