I have a user's laptop which is currently running XP Media Center. In order to connect his notebook to the domain, I have to reformat and reinstall as XP Pro. One problem... it appears that his hard drive is SATA and I can't get the XP install disk to see the SATA drive, so it won't install.

I did go to the HP website and downloaded the drivers, but I don't think those are going to work for installing Windows as they are in EXE format, even after unpacking the "service pack" file that HP uses to distribute them. At least nLite didn't appear to recognize the files as driver files -- it was expecting inf files, which are not included.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get Windows to install on this beast? Model is a Pavilion DV8235nr.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

First, try the easy route. Check BIOS settings for SATA controller and see if there is an IDE mode or OS Install Mode. If so, no SATA controller drivers are needed. Also disable AHCI in BIOS.

Just looked at specs on notebook. It has 2 hard disks but there's no mention of a RAID array.

Appears file you downloaded was Intel Matrix software. What You need is SATA driver and/or RAID drivers. Do you know which Intel chipset is used? Southbridge would be most helpful (e.g. ICH7). I'll do some more looking in the interim.

why go through all the headache. why not just rename the PC and type the name of the domain it is to join, If it is using Static IP set those if not set to automatic DHCP.

Probably because XP MCE won't join a domain.

really? did you try. It's as simple as going to system properties and got to computer name tab. rename the PC and type the name of the domain.

Then go to control panel and change the way users log on.

Is this the file you downloaded? If so, it should create a floppy disk with drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-39535-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1843762&os=228

Nope. I downloaded a different SoftPaq, sp32478.exe which had another EXE inside of it (binary-only drivers.)

I did find a non-binary driver on driverguide, which I incorporated into the install CD.

I'll have to check the BIOS and see if I can find an "OS Install" mode or something like that.

I've never run across anything like this before and I've been working with computers for close to 20 years now... *sigh*

Although, I guess SATA is a new-enough techology that it kinda makes sense, but still... *shrug*

why go through all the headache. why not just rename the PC and type the name of the domain it is to join, If it is using Static IP set those if not set to automatic DHCP.

XP MEDIA CENTER -- won't join an active directory domain.

really? did you try. It's as simple as going to system properties and got to computer name tab. rename the PC and type the name of the domain.

Then go to control panel and change the way users log on.

Bobby... have you ever actually seen a copy of Media Center Edition? It's just like XP Home... you can't join a domain.

I have it runnings at home and on a VM machine joined to a domain group. Maybe i have a different version. ( mine came with a 10key license)

I have a user's laptop which is currently running XP Media Center. In order to connect his notebook to the domain, I have to reformat and reinstall as XP Pro. One problem... it appears that his hard drive is SATA and I can't get the XP install disk to see the SATA drive, so it won't install.

I did go to the HP website and downloaded the drivers, but I don't think those are going to work for installing Windows as they are in EXE format, even after unpacking the "service pack" file that HP uses to distribute them. At least nLite didn't appear to recognize the files as driver files -- it was expecting inf files, which are not included.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get Windows to install on this beast? Model is a Pavilion DV8235nr.

Ok. so to fix this issue how about booting with the windows Xp cd and choose recover console and format the HDD. or use a utility disk to clean the HDD then install XP

Ok. so to fix this issue how about booting with the windows Xp cd and choose recover console and format the HDD. or use a utility disk to clean the HDD then install XP

Bobby, I think you're missing the issue -- I can't see the hard drive when booted off the install CD! I think you can see how this might be a problem. BTW, I just went and looked at the laptop again to verify what I've been saying and the option to join a domain is disabled. Now, I can changeworkgroups all I want, but a workgroup is not the same as a domain. You're still authenticating to the local machine, rather than authenticating to the active directory domain.

You are aware of the difference between a domain and a workgroup, right?

yes teacher. LOL

In MCE 2005, Microsoft has disabled its ability to join an Active Directory domain post install, however it is still possible to join a domain during the OS install process if your network card has been recognized. Also you can hack this after the installation via gpedit.

Previous versions of MCE (Media Centre Edition) allowed you to connect to a domain with ease.

• Versions as follows:
  • Windows XP Media Center Edition beta (codename "Freestyle", Jan 2002) was the first showing and based directly on Windows XP Professional. This was only available from Tier 1 computer manufacturers (HP, Dell, Sony, Zitech, et al).
  • Windows XP Media Center Edition 2003 ("Freestyle", Oct 2002) added a number of features, including FM radio tuning.
  • Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 ("Harmony", Nov 2003). Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrades earlier versions of MCE to this one.
  • Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 ("Symphony", Nov 2004) is the first edition of MCE available to non-Tier 1 system builders. Among other things it includes support for Media Center Extenders, and CD/DVD-Video burning support, removed Active Directory Support for domain use.
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.