I have a dell Inspiron 8000 that is dead. Was working fine last time used. After pressing the power button The Hd light will flash a few times. There is a few sounds, And you can see a quick bleep in the screen and then nothing.
I have tried a different power supply, a different battery, removing the cd drive & 3.5 floppy.
This is just out of the blue it was working fine last time used. and this time it wont do anything. Anyone help!!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

>>>last time used
which was how long ago?

Although you've tried a few possibilities there are still a lot of unknowns here. At this point it could still be anything. Maybe you could try another monitor next? More info is needed.

I have a dell Inspiron 8000 that is dead. Was working fine last time used. After pressing the power button The Hd light will flash a few times. There is a few sounds, And you can see a quick bleep in the screen and then nothing.
I have tried a different power supply, a different battery, removing the cd drive & 3.5 floppy.
This is just out of the blue it was working fine last time used. and this time it wont do anything. Anyone help!!

@ Starband, what type of sound. is it during the bios screen, when you initially push the power buttons. the last time it was used how was it turned off. does the light on the monitor comes on green or stays orange? Be as detailed as you can so that we can help

Ok 1st this is a laptop. It was used 2 or 3 days prior and it worked fine. When you plug the power supply in the green light comes on. Now you press the power button and you can hear the 3.5 floppy make a noise, and the screen flickers.and the green HD light comes on for about 1 second, But nothing elese. I have removed the keyboard and checked all the plugs i can see, Removed heatsink and checked the processor for tightness. Everything seems to be in order. I have tried 3 different power supplies, 2 different batteries, I have hooked an external monitor to the back, I have removed the DVD rom, the 3.5 floppy, I have removed the hard drive and hooked to a USB adapter and checked to see if HD is bad. What have i not tried? Can the MOBO go out just like that no tale tale signs beforehand.

is the battery charged on the Laptop. let it remain on power for 2 hours then turn on. Some laptop will not power on if the battery is totally dead. Also can you check the CMOS battery.

I let 2 different batteries charge in it until the green charge light goes out and still nothing. I will check the cmos battery

Ok laptop is disassembled. What does the CMOS battery look like on this board? dont see anything that looks like a battery

about the size of a quarter, very shine and flat.

the battery most likely is not on the board itself , but plugged in via a small white 3 wire plug [like a small fan plug],the laptops i have the bios batters is rapped in yellow/red plastic and are attached to the underside of the palm rest area,or the bottom of the case in the same front area ,or i have seen them in the main battery storage area,but are almost all inside the case but not on the board like a regular computer ,

Ok Guy's Thanks for all your Help. I completely Disassembled the laptop and left it on the bench overnight. I checked every plug and reassembled. Now it works fine. Dont know what i did but it works.

cmos battery is under palm rest have to take out all srews on bottom of laptop remove keybord then release the little catches on sides or palm rest with very small flat blade srewdriver or as I do with thumb nail once off turn upsidedown add remove the two little screws on metal plate lift and slid out turn over and will see cmos battery pack if not it is missing and should have a plug not used.
Also I just repaired one that was doing the same thing. the proccessor was bad. it takes a pentium3 can run 700mhz. 800mhz or as ii just used 1ghz.
do nopt need cmos to turn on just get error message that date & time or wrong also if pluged in do not need battery as this laptop will run pluged in and no power batter installed. KNOW THIS FROM DOING SO. STILL have 2 more to fix one is 8000 and one is 8100 both need screens a cmos battery replacements other wise run using XP professional SP2 on all doing so did not have to download or install drivers the OS did it all

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.