I've noticed many others have had the same problems... I'm one of those guys that has to take things apart to see what makes them work, knowing only a little and always getting myself in over my head. Yesterday the computer decided to quit while sitting there quietly running. It does not power up. The little green light on the board is on. I swapped out power supplies, same thing, no response. I jumped the green power feed on the harness to the board with a ground and the fan on the power supply comes on. I disconnected the power switch to the MB and jumped the terminals on the board, nothing. I disconnected all the flotsam and jetsam from the MB and then tried to power up, no beeps, no fan on the cpu, nothing except that evil green light. I disconnected the power cord, pulled the bios battery out, jumped the bios terminals to clear it, then put everything back, no difference. This is an intel d865gvhz MB which I replaced just a year ago, to fix a seabreeze MB that did the same thing! Any thoughts for a backyard wanabe?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I've noticed many others have had the same problems... I'm one of those guys that has to take things apart to see what makes them work, knowing only a little and always getting myself in over my head. Yesterday the computer decided to quit while sitting there quietly running. It does not power up. The little green light on the board is on. I swapped out power supplies, same thing, no response. I jumped the green power feed on the harness to the board with a ground and the fan on the power supply comes on. I disconnected the power switch to the MB and jumped the terminals on the board, nothing. I disconnected all the flotsam and jetsam from the MB and then tried to power up, no beeps, no fan on the cpu, nothing except that evil green light. I disconnected the power cord, pulled the bios battery out, jumped the bios terminals to clear it, then put everything back, no difference. This is an intel d865gvhz MB which I replaced just a year ago, to fix a seabreeze MB that did the same thing! Any thoughts for a backyard wanabe?

The green light you are seeing is a warning light (safety feature) to let you know the mother board has power. what's with all this shorting and jumper you are moving around on the board. are you doing this will power to the board. If so you might have just killed the board. For a person who claim they don't know much you sure are doing a lot.

Answer these questions
1: when you power on the PC, is there any thing on the monitor. Or does the monitor power light turns green then back to orange.

2: Is this on board video or a PCI card.
3: when you power on the PC do you hear the hard drive making sound or see the CPU fan turning

Hi, thanks for responding. The computer does nothing when powered up, no fans running, no beeps. The light on the monitor does not change. It is onboard video. Shorting is a harsh word. I removed all the connections to the MB in order to JUMP the green wire in the MB harness, to see if the power supply itself ran. The fan on the power supply does run when the harness is jumped. On the MB itself, once all was hooked up again, all I did was bypass the power switch on the front of the computer, by jumping the two leads that the switch itself closes. No avail, the cpu fan doesn't start, nor are there any beeps lights etc. I'm not a dyed in the wool computer guy, just using things I've learned over the years on my own stuff, with the few suggestions I soak up from guys who do know.

remove Hdd, CD drive, any other devices you have attached. Connect ONLY the MONITOR. BUT make sure that the power panel on the mother board is configured correctly stuff like reset and hdd light can wait then power on the pc the first thing you want to see is the CPU fan turning. if that does not happen stop and check the power panel. if after verifying EVERY connection is correct and you still not getting any power, verify PSU fan is turning.

DO NOT BYPASS THE POWER SWITCH

Do you have another PSU to try. Standby power LED lit and PSU fan running when power on lead is jumpered does not verify PSU is actually providing power on all rails. That's especially true if the original Bestec PSU is still installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.