Compaq Presarion Tower SR 1475Cl running xp ... It was fine last night and now will not go past the first screen with the Esc F1/setup F10.sys Rec options - absolutely unresponsive.

I tried the boot disk (I think it is) but that failed... (yes I know I should have had a better label ;-)

I do have full back up but it's a week out ...

Should I buy (where from ?) a new hardrive with Xp pre loaded and then try to make this drive tthe slave ? (not sure how of course)

Or just hit the machine with 2lb hammer ?

Any thoughts MUST appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can you enter safe mode? Press F8 continually when you boot your machine. What was the last thing you did with your machine before you found the error? Have you installed any new hardware/software lately?

Disconnect all drives, both signal and power cables. Remove PCI cards. Disconnect card reader (if instakked). Disconnect all external devices except monitor and keyboard. Then try a basic boot.

It was strange - went to bed - woke up - it was dead. Nothing added or deleted.

However the good news is that its now fixed. I pulled everything I could apart, reseated and sucked (via the vaccum !) an ungodly amount of dust and "fluff" out of the case. That comes from sitting on floor under the table I guess. Anyway it seemed to like that "spring clean" and rebooted to life - so "willcomp" you were on the right track...

Of course now doing full backup etc ,,,

I appreciate your both (Serunson and willcomp) taking time out to answer my distress call

Regards.

steve

Compaq Presarion Tower SR 1475Cl running xp ... It was fine last night and now will not go past the first screen with the Esc F1/setup F10.sys Rec options - absolutely unresponsive.

I tried the boot disk (I think it is) but that failed... (yes I know I should have had a better label ;-)

I do have full back up but it's a week out ...

Should I buy (where from ?) a new hardrive with Xp pre loaded and then try to make this drive tthe slave ? (not sure how of course)

Or just hit the machine with 2lb hammer ?

Any thoughts MUST appreciated

if you got the dollars (about 49.99 for a 160gig) then go for the hard drive. if not, go for the 2lb hammer (3.99 @ the hardware store)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.