Hello there,bout a year ago my pc packed up and i was gutted because i had hard drives in there that had loads of music files pictures etc.Well last week i bought myself a laptop and also a intergral external enclosure to put my old hard drives in to transfer all the data.
I've set it up and one of the hard drives works fine but the other one and the more important one with my music on just says g:/ not acessable parimeter is incorrect,is there anyone out there that can help me because i just don't want to accept i can't have all my old music files and photos i would be gutted !
Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

A year ago what operating system was on the Hard drive. did you remove the jumper from the external hard drive

on the hard drive was win 98 and new laptop has vista,in the manual for the external hard drive it says set the jumper as master as i have,

remove the jumper WITH THE POWER OFF,

take the tiny white thing out the pins du mean? but in the manual for the usb external shell iv bought it says set as master,will this not damage it,and then turn it back once it is removed?

If you can get ahold of a usb to ide adapter it would be easier to retrieve files. don't know if you have tried one yet. they can be bought off of tiger direct or new egg. very handy tools to have.

If you can get ahold of a usb to ide adapter it would be easier to retrieve files. don't know if you have tried one yet. they can be bought off of tiger direct or new egg. very handy tools to have.

a external hdd,they are using one, is a usb adapter of sorts !!!

Hello there,bout a year ago my pc packed up and i was gutted
Thanks in advance

if packed up, means it stopped working , and gutted means you were angry ,then i think the hdd died last year when you got gutted! and you may never get the file off of the drive .

My understanding of these external cases is that they include a controller, so the USB factor is secondary.
You may be running into a controller limitation, so a USB adapter may help, or you could attach the drive directly to your PC on one of the IDE controllers to see of you get lucky. Change the jumper appropriately, of course.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.