Hi,

I read the other posts about dead Dell Latitudes, but I haven't found one quite like mine. I was working this morning, then I walked away for a few minutes, my computer was completely locked up. So I powered down. Now when I press the power on button I shift lock and scroll lock buttons flash for about a minute and then it stops. Doesn't even seem to be trying to boot up. I tried to remove the battery, no go. I tried to power up with the battery, also no go.

I am not a hardware techie kind of person, I am an information engineer. So playing with the motherboard etc. is beyond me. I just need to know if this is an easy fix or if I need to take it in for servicing.

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

If your system is still under warranty you will probably want to have Dell work on it.

Well, that wasn't the answer that I was hoping for. Thanks for answering.

If anyone else has any other answers I would still love to hear from you.

Found out that most likely it needs a new mother board.

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products.

Blinking Scroll and Caps lock lights indicate a problem with the system recognizing the memory. Use this manual and try reseating the memory to see if it helps the problem. If you have two memory sticks, try removing one and then powering on the system, if you get the same problem, put the original stick back in and remove the other. This will help narrow down a bad memory stick.

If one stick works, try removing the good stick and put the “failed” chip in the slot that the good chip came out of, if it works then the problem is a bad slot on the motherboard.

Mike
Dell customer advocate

The laptop is cool. I purchase a new from dell. However, The battery of running time is too low. I bought new one from http://www.batterygoshop.co.uk/dell/latitude-d620-battery.htm . Does anyone have this problem?

you don't say what the battery life is ,to say its to low is not enough , you also don't say what you are doing on battery and what power settings you have for when you are on battery , what did dell say the battery life would be,it would have been in the laptop specifications

I just recently had this exact same issue. The same scenario happened. I was just curious to see if you had found a solution for this issue. I'm pretty much a broke college student working two jobs and can't afford to just go out and buy a new laptop. I really appreciate any assisstance on this matter. From what I was reading in the message board was that it might be the motherboard.

Thank you

Hi,

I read the other posts about dead Dell Latitudes, but I haven't found one quite like mine. I was working this morning, then I walked away for a few minutes, my computer was completely locked up. So I powered down. Now when I press the power on button I shift lock and scroll lock buttons flash for about a minute and then it stops. Doesn't even seem to be trying to boot up. I tried to remove the battery, no go. I tried to power up with the battery, also no go.

I am not a hardware techie kind of person, I am an information engineer. So playing with the motherboard etc. is beyond me. I just need to know if this is an easy fix or if I need to take it in for servicing.

Thanks for your help.

I just recently had this exact same issue. The same scenario happened. I was just curious to see if you had found a solution for this issue. I'm pretty much a broke college student working two jobs and can't afford to just go out and buy a new laptop. I really appreciate any assisstance on this matter. From what I was reading in the message board was that it might be the motherboard.

Thank you

hi, did any of the info in post #5 help you

The problem seems to be with the memory module(s). According to Dell Support page, the flashing lights indicate a bad memory modules (or bad connection) you can go to the Dell Support page (support.dell.com) and look up the access details for the memory to see if you want to try. Otherwise just take it into tech support. Good Luck!

My Dell D620 died couple days ago. Only the power light is on no matter I plug in the AC adaptor or just use the battery or plug in the AC adaptor without battery. No other light is on and no sound from the fan, nor the hard drive nor the CD Rom. Black screen all the time and the Dell logo screen has never come up. Does anyone know what is going wrong with my laptop? Thanks.

This Helped alot all i did was blow on the module and now its fast and working Thanks so much

I just had this issue on two seperate Latitude D620 laptops as well. Here are the details:

Flashing Caps lock light: Memory module under keyboard is failing. I resat mine and it was fine.

Flashing Caps Lock and Scroll Lock light: Memory module underneath laptop is failing. Again I resat mine and it was then fine.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Dell Latitude D400 (no removable media ) hardware password missing. I have 2 of these for legacy (DOS Serial) uses, 1 works fine, second won't boot due to hardware pwd. Any Help?

Thanx so much for sharing this type of information.

bij aanzetten gaat groene lamp aan en een blauw lamp en alles gaat na 2sec off

I have Dell Vostro 1088.
My laptop does not start not even boot. Only Power light and bluetooth led is on (1st and last led). Tried with removing ram, placing in differnt slot, tried to turn on with charger and without charger. When i plug charger the charging light flash for a second and never comes up. some times my laptop woks perfectly fine means out og 20 times it starts once. Please help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.