I have a new system: Biostar MB FT 7050
OCZ platinum revised 2 gigs
Ultra 600 watt PS
seagate 250 gig harddrive

My problem, My system will not boot up properly after it has been off for a while(15 + Min). It boots to the BIOS and allows me to enter BIOS just fine. but if I if it starts to load OS(windows XP pro SP2) it will not show the Verify screen(screen that pops up and shows CPU temp and all that stuff) and freezes on a black screen with cursor. To remedy all I have to do is turn the PS switch to off or unplug and wait a minute and then it will boot fine and everything runs great. Do I have a problem with PS or MB? I have read some other posts and it sounds like a uncommon problem. Please also note that if the system is restarted after it is shut down, or right after it is turned off it will start just fine, no boot problems. Thanks guys

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Sounds like your HDD is having issues. Like it is having problems spinning up after a cold start. I would recommend a full back up and then replace the drive.

why do you think it is the HDD? The problem happens in BIOS before the final post screen comes up. Is there a way to check the HDD with out replacing it? The drive is less than a week old.

The black screen with cursor means the bios have finished post and is waiting on the HDD to load the ntldr. This is usually an idication a bad MBR, but with you able to shut the system down and then boot fine, I still suspect the HDD.

Also, other fixes: IF i unplug for 1 min system will reboot. If I turn switch off for 5 min system will boot fine. If I reset BIOS by taking out battery or resetting by jumper system will boot fine .

With all of that it does sound like BIOS issue then. Sounds like a defective line of boards. Almost like the controller on the board does not see the HDD then suddenly does. That would explain the successful post and then the cursor. The BIOS is trying to pass control to the NTLDR but it can't because the controller has not activated the HDD.

Thanks for your help. Also wanted to see what you thought about this: When I called Biostar and talked to a tech he told me do flash system and see what happens, he gave me the name of a certain update, not the newest to use. I can not tell if it has worked. If you see my other similar post about this problem I thought I had it fixed because the system did two cold boots in a row. One about an hour after shut down and the other about seven hours after system shut down. The tech said if this doesn't work he will replace MB. DO you think this is a hardware issue or a bios issue? I would think that if this was bios issue we would hear a lot more about it?

Thanks for your help. Also wanted to see what you thought about this: When I called Biostar and talked to a tech he told me do flash system and see what happens, he gave me the name of a certain update, not the newest to use. I can not tell if it has worked. If you see my other similar post about this problem I thought I had it fixed because the system did two cold boots in a row. One about an hour after shut down and the other about seven hours after system shut down. The tech said if this doesn't work he will replace MB. DO you think this is a hardware issue or a bios issue? I would think that if this was bios issue we would hear a lot more about it?

Could have been a mix of both. Bad CMOS chip would could accept a fresh flash, but would not fuction correctly. If he is telling you to install an update, but not the most current, they could have something going on with the newest that they do not want to get made public. HP has a bad habit of this. They only notify their support people. I get notifications all the time with issues they don't release to the public.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.