I've looked at the manual and can't get a clue there. XP is not recognizing the Western Digital IDE HD. There is only one IDE connector and it connects to the DVD player which shows as a SATA drive in BIOS. There is a black (IDE looking) cable running from the IDE connector to the DVD burner, yet it shows as SATA 1. There is a connector in the middle of that cable, but it obviously will not let the IDE HD be a slave to anything. Being relatively new to SATA I cannot figure this one out. Can anyone point out how I should go about hooking up this IDE drive and getting it to be recognized by BIOS? It is an ASUS M2N-MX SE mobo.
Thanks,
Giddyup

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Have you tried unplugging the cable from the dvd burner and plugging it into the hard drive by itself?

Is the cdrom being recognized outside the bios? after post i mean..

I've not tried unplugging the DVD player. I figured if I did it would not show up in BIOS. And yes it does show up outside BIOS.

I know that it is something simple, but at this point it eludes me.

Thanks,
Giddyup

Ok, you should just be able to plug in the hard drive to the same cable. Set the jumper on the hard drive to master and the cdrom jumper to slave. Boot up and report what you see happen.

If you want, you can unplug the cdrom and plug it in to the hard drive instead to see what happens before you try the above.

also is the harddrive new, and maybe not formatted yet .and if possible changed jumpers on both the hdd and dvd rom to cable select and the drive should be able to go in the middle plug on the ide cable .if not just master one and slave the other ,a haddrive can be slave to a dvd drive !,also make sure that the ide cable is 80 wire and not 40 wire .
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

commented: Most helpful +2

I do greatly appreciate all the input. It did help me to easily hook up. Thank you all.
Giddyup

I do greatly appreciate all the input. It did help me to easily hook up. Thank you all.
Giddyup

good to hear all went well !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.