I researched and couldn't find anything close. I have a Yoshiba Satellit A105-S101 laptop. 1 and 1/2 year old. Intel Celeron M380 1.6 ghz. 512 mb DDR 2 533 SDRam. Video ATI Radeon Xpress 200M with shared video 128mb. 60 gig HD. cd-DVD writer. Realtek ALC 861 sound card. Windows XP Home. Wireless G card. (we run it on wireless)
Has been running fine. While on Yahoo screen went fuzzy then computer died. Computer has AC light and battery charge light. When booting it will get num lock light, HD light, CD tries to test, F10 and F11 light and fan runs. It will try to start for 10 seconds and turn off. It will do this 6 times then shuts down altogether. Nothing on screen at any time. No beep codes. Can't get into BIOS.
Tried normal stuff like removing RAM and inserting 1 at a time in different slots (2-256mb modules) Removed battery for just AC power. Tried just battery. I have no spare parts to swap out.
I can't afford to take it in so any help and ideas would help. It's my wifes computer and all she does is use email and play euchre.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Good afternoon and welcome to Daniweb!

I had this with a customers unit a while back, and a similar model. Have you tried a different hard disk?

As that would explain the rebooting; as windows will reboot if it is unable to find a location to boot from i.e a HDD. And in most cases will eventually give up.

What exactly do you get when you turn it on? Do you get the Toshiba screen at boot up?

Dazza :cool:

Thanks for helping! After your post I removed the HDD to make sure it's seating OK. I noticed a noise like something broken and rattling inside when I turn it over. I'll try to buy a new HD tomorrow.

No worries, glad to help.

well BUMMER! new HD didn't make a difference. Anybody have anymore guesses?
I don't even get a flicker from the screen at any time while I'm trying to boot up.

I have the same exact problem, and same laptop.

Starts up No screen just lights on the front, ya know power, ac, dvd spins then stops along with Laptop. It goes on and off on and off with nothing.

how to insert system boot ? and how to share pc to another pc?

I have the same exact problem, and same laptop.

Starts up No screen just lights on the front, ya know power, ac, dvd spins then stops along with Laptop. It goes on and off on and off with nothing.

Ok I just fixed the problem, for me anyway.

(with Laptop Off and Battery installed)

I held the (power button down for 20 seconds)

I let go and it booted up, the screen turned on, no restarts.

Hope this helps.

Ok I just fixed the problem, for me anyway.

(with Laptop Off and Battery installed)

I held the (power button down for 20 seconds)

I let go and it booted up, the screen turned on, no restarts.

Hope this helps.

That's similar to a ATX reset, but for that you would take out all power sources (cable, battery etc) then hold the power button for 30 seconds.

This should solve the majority of power problems.

to saturnman60...you had an overheating problem..try to clean your cpu fan and apply new thermal paste to your processor..i guess you can solve your problem this way...thanks...pip

Thanks piping, but after 3 years I would suggest that the problem has been resolved :).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.