So recently, about 50% of the time when I turned on my 2+ year old computer it would freeze at the motherboard manufacturers logo screen. It worked fine otherwise. Then I decided to load optimized defaults in the BIOS since I've had it running in fail-safe defaults since I don't know when (might have been since I got a new CPU cooler). When I did this, the computer booted up just fine, shut off just fine. The next day when I turned it on, it shut off after about 5 seconds of being on. The last time that happened with my computer, my PSU had died because the fan stopped spinning. Checked all the fans --- still running just fine during those 5 seconds. I then decided to reset the BIOS settings to fail-safe by pulling out the cmos battery. It booted, everything worked normally. I then decided to schedule a chkdsk. Restarted the computer, it booted up to just before windows starts (my computer doesn't show any windows logo when loading the OS so it might be just frozen at that screen) to load and just sits there running the harddrive but the screen is blank. I left it for an hour, came back, and it was still doing the same thing. I have to do a 3 sec manual shut off. Now, whenever i turn on the computer it shuts off after 5 secs, or, if i reset the bios settings does the never ending (or is it?) harddrive thing. It appears to me that something is dying (upset failure?). Anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or how to diagnose the problem. Thanks.

BTW, i also get a check sum error every time saying it's reseting to defaults.

Specs:
OCZ PSU 850W (not a cheap/crappy PSU)
OCZ 2x512MB DDR2
Abit AN8 SLI
EVGA GeForce 6800gs

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Replace the CMOS battery

hey there
So four years ago I personally had somewhat the same problem.In my case the fan on the cpu was spinning but without me noticing It wasnt fasten to the heat sink and resulted in the processor bailing out(freeze)
-boot from the disk and see if it runs thru so you can do a repair(if not-than its most likely cpu cooling)
-also check if its really providing enough cooling (monitor it)-sometimes the fan bails after a while.

pending reply

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.