i am running windows xp sp2 on my hp compaq laptop.it was attacked by a virus a few weeks ago which made it imposible for me to open my drive c or d.after i cleaned the laptop with avg antivirus i realised the virus had made folder options,run,search and other facilities inaccesible.i decided to format the pc but when i start installing it gives me an error saying drive not found,even if i try to repair the OS it still gives the same error.the pc is able to boot though and most programs are running okey. i really want to format the pc,how can i go about it?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

you need the SATA drivers and a floppy disk + floppy disk drive

XP does not come with built-in support for installing onto SATA hard disks

you need the SATA drivers and a floppy disk + floppy disk drive

XP does not come with built-in support for installing onto SATA hard disks

i will give the solution a shot.will installing vista help since it may have SATA drivers?u know what i formated the laptop before using the same xp cd.everthing installed okey except for a few drivers which i managed to find.so why is it failing this time around?saying drive c not found when i didnt have that problem the first time.

vista may work

its wierd if it worked the first time around though ?

maybe the disk is bad?

try booting from a dos disk and running fdisk.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.