Hi folks,

I've got an asus P4C800-E with one gig of ram...

i'd like to max it out ...

my manual says:

"the motherboard comes with four double data rate (DDR) dual inline memory module (DIMM) sockets. these support up to 4GB system memory using 184-pin unbuffered ECC or non-ECC PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 DDR DIMMs, and allow up to 6.4GB/s data transfer rate.

this is gibberish to me...

can anyone direct me via link or other to a vendor (reasonable price) that will help me get the correct ram?

thanks for any help.

tws1

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

http://www.crucial.com

you can select what you have or the website can scan your system then it will show the RAM you need.

Best performance will be with 1gb in each of the 4 slots.

thanks compdoc and jbennet...

i checked crucial.com out and am looking at about $200 to max out my ram @ 1 gig per slot (4 slots). my apprehension stems from my uncertain knowledge of this hardware and *reliability* of recommendations from reputed professionals... i have to purchase from someone who will honor a return if their recommendation doesn't work... however, it seems that the particular ram i need is not obscure so i should be able to find it from several different vendors and thereby get a good deal from someone.

thanks again.

tws

crucial are good. i use them a lot. Never had to return anything.

You can get it on the net from any good PC website. The thing is RAM is something that vendors don't do returns on. Because of the fact that it could be ruined by handling it carelessly which is not their fault. But any good quality RAM with the required specifications would work. As said earlier you can get Crucial, Kingston is also quite good quality as well.

Raj

Don't forget that 32 bit machines do not support more than 3.2 gigs of mem. I recommend buying a matched set of 1 gig and a set of half gigs -- it is not worth paying for 4 gigs if can only use 3.2. (from summary: Leveraging the Intel 875P chipset to support 3.2 GHz+ P4)

"Leveraging the Intel 875P chipset to support 3.2 GHz+ P4)"

that system supports PAE. In that case, Windows can use up to 4gb (max 3gb for applications, 1gb system) . Add /3gb and /PAE to the boot.ini . Ms state this method in the documentation for SQL Server in the part detailing how to install on Server 2003 .

Don't forget that 32 bit machines do not support more than 3.2 gigs of mem. I recommend buying a matched set of 1 gig and a set of half gigs -- it is not worth paying for 4 gigs if can only use 3.2. (from summary: Leveraging the Intel 875P chipset to support 3.2 GHz+ P4)

Sorry about the above copy and paste error, I was watching a PBS special on the climbers who died on Everest and I misread GHz as memory, sigh

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.